POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Povray and AVX? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:21:29 EDT (-0400)
  Povray and AVX? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: jhu
Subject: Povray and AVX?
Date: 15 Oct 2011 11:40:01
Message: <web.4e99a8de526567dfd19b0ec40@news.povray.org>
Now that Intel and AMD processors have AVX instruction functionality (Sandy
Bridge, Bulldozer), how well can Povray use these new instructions? I don't have
any of these processors, so I'm unable to test it myself.

Post a reply to this message

> Now that Intel and AMD processors have AVX instruction functionality (Sandy
> Bridge, Bulldozer), how well can Povray use these new instructions? I don't have
> any of these processors, so I'm unable to test it myself.

That is a good question. You will need to check with your compiler-vendor
and the ability of their compiler to auto-vectorise code for AVX. You will
also need to check with your operating system vendor if the operating system
supports AVX.

As for POV-Ray itself, it (currently) contains no processor specific code,
so any SIMD optimisations depend on the compiler used to compile POV-Ray.

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> > Now that Intel and AMD processors have AVX instruction functionality (Sandy
> > Bridge, Bulldozer), how well can Povray use these new instructions? I don't have
> > any of these processors, so I'm unable to test it myself.
>
> That is a good question. You will need to check with your compiler-vendor
> and the ability of their compiler to auto-vectorise code for AVX. You will
> also need to check with your operating system vendor if the operating system
> supports AVX.
>
> As for POV-Ray itself, it (currently) contains no processor specific code,
> so any SIMD optimisations depend on the compiler used to compile POV-Ray.
>
>  Thorsten

icc 12 and gcc 4.6 supposedly have AVX support. Perhaps someone here with a
processor with AVX support can compile and report back?