POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Povray 3.6 installation Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:23:36 EDT (-0400)
  Povray 3.6 installation (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: gfernval
Subject: Povray 3.6 installation
Date: 2 Mar 2011 17:15:00
Message: <web.4d6ec055aa6adb23245ffe3d0@news.povray.org>
I have installed Povray 3.6.2 in c:\povray but do not want any povray files in
c:\documents and settings\administrator\my documents\...
What .ini files must I edit for povray being abe to search in c:\povray\include,
c:\povray\ini,.. and not in c:\documents and settings\... ?

thanks

Post a reply to this message

Editing .ini files does not work, it seems povray always load from:

"Loaded 0 tools from D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My
Documents\POV-Ray\v3.6\ini\pvtools.ini into Tool Menu."

In which .exe .dll or registry key is hardcoded "\Documents and
Settings\Administrator\My Documents\POV-Ray\v3.6\ini\"

thanks

Post a reply to this message

> Editing .ini files does not work, it seems povray always load from:
>
> "Loaded 0 tools from D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My
> Documents\POV-Ray\v3.6\ini\pvtools.ini into Tool Menu."
>
> In which .exe .dll or registry key is hardcoded "\Documents and
> Settings\Administrator\My Documents\POV-Ray\v3.6\ini\"
>
> thanks

It is a while since I installed it so I might be remembering incorrectly.
When you install it install it for everyone, then you should be able to
select which directory you want.

BTW which OS are you using? It makes a difference I think.
Worst case scenario is that you might have to edit your registry.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> > Editing .ini files does not work, it seems povray always load from:
> >
> > "Loaded 0 tools from D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My
> > Documents\POV-Ray\v3.6\ini\pvtools.ini into Tool Menu."
> >
> > In which .exe .dll or registry key is hardcoded "\Documents and
> > Settings\Administrator\My Documents\POV-Ray\v3.6\ini\"
> >
> > thanks
> >

> It is a while since I installed it so I might be remembering incorrectly.
> When you install it install it for everyone, then you should be able to
> select which directory you want.
>
> BTW which OS are you using? It makes a difference I think.
> Worst case scenario is that you might have to edit your registry.
>
> --
> Regards
>      Stephen

The OS is Windows XP 32 bit Intel, when you install Povray says you in which
directory you want to install, but regardless of installation directory always
goes to "\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\POV-Ray\v3.6" for
ini files and other settings

Post a reply to this message

> The OS is Windows XP 32 bit Intel, when you install Povray says you in which
> directory you want to install, but regardless of installation directory always
> goes to "\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\POV-Ray\v3.6" for
> ini files and other settings

Sorry it is beyond me then. Maybe someone else can help.
I might be tempted to edit the registry but I would not recommend doing
it in case things went wrong.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>>> Editing .ini files does not work, it seems povray always load from:
>>>
>>> "Loaded 0 tools from D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My
>>> Documents\POV-Ray\v3.6\ini\pvtools.ini into Tool Menu."
>>>
>>> In which .exe .dll or registry key is hardcoded "\Documents and
>>> Settings\Administrator\My Documents\POV-Ray\v3.6\ini\"
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>

>> It is a while since I installed it so I might be remembering incorrectly.
>> When you install it install it for everyone, then you should be able to
>> select which directory you want.
>>
>> BTW which OS are you using? It makes a difference I think.
>> Worst case scenario is that you might have to edit your registry.
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>>       Stephen
>
> The OS is Windows XP 32 bit Intel, when you install Povray says you in which
> directory you want to install, but regardless of installation directory always
> goes to "\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\POV-Ray\v3.6" for
> ini files and other settings

Yeah, the bane of Windows XP/7. Don't mind that you install some place
else, or that you set documents for some place else, assume that *all*
configuration shit, for everything, should go right back where you told
it not to put anything else. Have the same issue here, with other
things, like Nero, which decided to try to use the 3GB left on my C
drive to recode 4GB of video. Why? Because the "temp files" for it
defaulted to, and can't be changed from, "\Documents and Settings\Me\My
Documents\Nero\...".

Really need to redo this damn system. Sigh..

Post a reply to this message

From: Tamas Gunda
Date: 9 Mar 2011 13:30:01
Message: <web.4d77c70ccf7b5eef32bad1a70@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mcavoys_at@aoldotcom> wrote:
> On 03/03/2011 9:00 AM, gfernval wrote:
> > The OS is Windows XP 32 bit Intel, when you install Povray says you in which
> > directory you want to install, but regardless of installation directory always
> > goes to "\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\POV-Ray\v3.6" for
> > ini files and other settings
>
> Sorry it is beyond me then. Maybe someone else can help.
> I might be tempted to edit the registry but I would not recommend doing
> it in case things went wrong.
>
> --
> Regards
>      Stephen

I checked the registry of WinXP. No trace of any setting concerning this
problem. Unfortunately.