POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : nasty issues rendering extremely large objects Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:16:38 EDT (-0400)
  nasty issues rendering extremely large objects (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Florin Andrei
Subject: nasty issues rendering extremely large objects
Date: 14 Oct 2010 14:05:00
Message: <web.4cb744c091bc326e7411a7fb0@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to render the Ringworld, from the perspective of someone standing on
it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringworld#Ringworld_engineering

But I'm running into all sorts of trouble. Here's an initial attempt, using the
metric system for all distances:

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=4Cib1tiy

Command-line is:

povray torus.pov +P +W1200 +H675 -visual DirectColor

This is the result:

http://i.imgur.com/N3Hav.png

The distant end is cut off and the near portion is not rendered at all.

I changed from meters to kilometers (all the #declare numbers are 1000x
smaller), and this is the result:

http://i.imgur.com/fxZ7K.png

The far end is better but the near portion is still clipped. So I moved the
subject a lot higher: instead of 2 m, let's put the subject at 2 km:

http://i.imgur.com/WfyWz.png

Better, but there's still weird clipping. So I put the subject at 2000 km above
the Ringworld:

http://i.imgur.com/05s36.png

Okay, so this looks correct, but it's not what I want; it's not the Ringworld as
seen from someone standing on it (as opposed to flying a spaceship at 2000 km
above it).

It looks like I'm running into issues with math precision. Any suggestions?

Post a reply to this message