POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : At-render texture blending Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:25:32 EDT (-0400)
  At-render texture blending (Message 1 to 10 of 20)
From: Siber
Subject: At-render texture blending
Date: 28 Nov 2009 01:45:01
Message: <web.4b10c6a969fb4644ca9ceddd0@news.povray.org>
I am currently attempting to render certain ships in POV-ray that were
originally intended for a game. In said game, regions of the ships are colored
by the player's choice of fleet colors, and I would like to replicate this in
the scene in such a way that I can specify these fleet colors in the scene, and
not have to change them in an image editor.

I have three textures, one for the plain texture and one for each of the two
fleet colors, which are brighter where the color in question should be stronger,
but I'm not sure how to get POV-ray to use this information the way I want it
to. Any ideas?

Post a reply to this message

Oops. May have put this in the wrong section. Sorry if so.

Post a reply to this message

>I am currently attempting to render certain ships in POV-ray that were
> originally intended for a game. In said game, regions of the ships are
> colored
> by the player's choice of fleet colors, and I would like to replicate this
> in
> the scene in such a way that I can specify these fleet colors in the
> scene, and
> not have to change them in an image editor.
>
> I have three textures, one for the plain texture and one for each of the
> two
> fleet colors, which are brighter where the color in question should be
> stronger,
> but I'm not sure how to get POV-ray to use this information the way I want
> it
> to. Any ideas?

I suppose you could do this for instance:

#declare P = texture {plain code};
#declare F1 = texture {fleet1 code};
#declare F2 = texture {fleet2 code};

#declare Plain is on;
#declare Fleet1 = on;

in the appropriate parts of the ship(s) you state:

#if  (Plain)
  texture {P}
#else
  #if (Fleet1)
    texture {F1}
  #else
    texture {F2}
  #end
#end

Hope this helps

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> I am currently attempting to render certain ships in POV-ray that were
> originally intended for a game. In said game, regions of the ships are colored
> by the player's choice of fleet colors, and I would like to replicate this in
> the scene in such a way that I can specify these fleet colors in the scene, and
> not have to change them in an image editor.
>
> I have three textures, one for the plain texture and one for each of the two
> fleet colors, which are brighter where the color in question should be stronger,
> but I'm not sure how to get POV-ray to use this information the way I want it
> to. Any ideas?

You can probably do this easily in POV-Ray, using pigment_map or texture_map. Or
even just with layered pigments. What form are these ship objects in? Are they
meshes, or are they built with more traditional POV-Ray components?

Maybe you should post a small scene to show us what you mean. It can be so easy
to misinterpret a written description. :)

Post a reply to this message

> I suppose you could do this for instance:
>
> #declare P = texture {plain code};
> #declare F1 = texture {fleet1 code};
> #declare F2 = texture {fleet2 code};
>
> #declare Plain is on;
> #declare Fleet1 = on;
>

> I suppose you could do this for instance:
>
> #declare P = texture {plain code};
> #declare F1 = texture {fleet1 code};
> #declare F2 = texture {fleet2 code};

But what if there will be more fleets in the future??

#declare TextureList = array[3]
{
texture { /* plain code  */ },
texture { /* fleet1 code */ },
texture { /* fleet2 code */ }
}

#declare FleetNumber = 1; // 0 would be plain, 1 would be fleet1, etc

Then, in the ships:
object{
    Ship
    texture{ TextureList[FleetNumber] }