POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : code editor color coding lost Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:22:34 EDT (-0400)
  code editor color coding lost (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: optima
Subject: code editor color coding lost
Date: 12 Aug 2009 10:20:01
Message: <web.4a82ce94373d8e417fe0bea10@news.povray.org>
Hi,
In my scene, Povray crashed first. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled Povray
3.6.1 . But still all code looks black, color coding of keywords is gone.
How can I correct this, short of reinstalling windows.?
Thank you very much.

PS. Options/Editor Preferences menu doesn't help, still same black text.

Post a reply to this message

> In my scene, Povray crashed first. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled Povray
> 3.6.1 . But still all code looks black, color coding of keywords is gone.
> How can I correct this, short of reinstalling windows.?
> Thank you very much.
>
> PS. Options/Editor Preferences menu doesn't help, still same black text.

Something similar happens to me occasionally, but without a crash. But I
can't remember
what I did to correct it. Have you tried resaving the file. So I'm not
much help, but maybe
  two voices will better attract those who know what's going on.

BTW, I have very very seldom had Pov-Ray to crash. It's stability is one
of its assets.

David

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 12 Aug 2009 14:37:52
Message: <4a830c00$1@news.povray.org>
optima schrieb:
> Hi,
> In my scene, Povray crashed first. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled Povray
> 3.6.1 . But still all code looks black, color coding of keywords is gone.
> How can I correct this, short of reinstalling windows.?
> Thank you very much.
>
> PS. Options/Editor Preferences menu doesn't help, still same black text.

Maybe the cmedit.dll or povcmax.dll is broken, and/or Windows finds some
other DLL of the same name instead somewhere?

Post a reply to this message

From: David H  Burns
Date: 12 Aug 2009 15:51:51
Message: <4a831d57$1@news.povray.org>
optima wrote:
> Hi,
> In my scene, Povray crashed first. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled Povray
> 3.6.1 . But still all code looks black, color coding of keywords is gone.
> How can I correct this, short of reinstalling windows.?
> Thank you very much.
>
> PS. Options/Editor Preferences menu doesn't help, still same black text.

I don't know if this is the same "problem", but I made a new Pov-Ray
file by simply opening
a new blank file and pasting the contests of another file into it. All
color coding of text was lost.
I saved it (as  .pov), edited it, ran it, exited and restarted Pov-Ray ,
and finally turned the computer off and
back on. The file in question still had no color coding. Then I saved it
under a different name
and, lo and behold, color coding of text had returned --to the renamed
version. The original version
still has no color coding.

David

Post a reply to this message

From: optima
Date: 12 Aug 2009 17:25:01
Message: <web.4a8333158ea8565d7fe0bea10@news.povray.org>
"David H. Burns" <dhb### [at] cherokeetelnet> wrote:
> optima wrote:
> > Hi,
> > In my scene, Povray crashed first. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled Povray
> > 3.6.1 . But still all code looks black, color coding of keywords is gone.
> > How can I correct this, short of reinstalling windows.?
> > Thank you very much.
> >
> > PS. Options/Editor Preferences menu doesn't help, still same black text.
> >

> I don't know if this is the same "problem", but I made a new Pov-Ray
> file by simply opening
> a new blank file and pasting the contests of another file into it. All
> color coding of text was lost.
> I saved it (as  .pov), edited it, ran it, exited and restarted Pov-Ray ,
> and finally turned the computer off and
> back on. The file in question still had no color coding. Then I saved it
> under a different name
> and, lo and behold, color coding of text had returned --to the renamed
> version. The original version
> still has no color coding.
>
> David

All my previous pov files (5-6) of them lost color coding, copying into a new
file or resaving does not correct the problem. I guess I'll have to get by
until next windows format in a few months. I just formatted a week ago. Thanks.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 12 Aug 2009 19:41:29
Message: <4a835329$1@news.povray.org>
David H. Burns schrieb:
> I don't know if this is the same "problem", but I made a new Pov-Ray
> file by simply opening
> a new blank file and pasting the contests of another file into it. All
> color coding of text was lost.
> I saved it (as  .pov), edited it, ran it, exited and restarted Pov-Ray ,
> and finally turned the computer off and
> back on. The file in question still had no color coding. Then I saved it
> under a different name
> and, lo and behold, color coding of text had returned --to the renamed
> version. The original version
> still has no color coding.

Heh! That rings a bell - I guess I know what's broken (at least in your
case).

In the Recent Files list, POV-Ray not only stores the file names, but
also some additional information: Last cursor position, stuff like that.
And the syntax highlighting language.

Normally, you should be able to correct this by opening the file,
selecting "Options / Editor Window / Editor Preferences", and in the
"Language/Tabs" pane change "Language" from "<none>" back to "POV-Ray".

Alternatively, you can...

(A) edit the registry manually (ideally closing POV-Ray first of
course); you find the lists at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\POV-Ray\v3.7\POV-Edit\Open
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\POV-Ray\v3.7\POV-Edit\Recent
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\POV-Ray\v3.7\POV-Edit\Older

The third-to-last field of each entry encodes the syntax highlighting
language; change this from "0" (no highlighting) to "POV-Ray" for the
offending file.

Or (B) open and close 40 different files, which should flush the
offending entry out of the lists.

Post a reply to this message

From: David H  Burns
Date: 12 Aug 2009 21:05:19
Message: <4a8366cf$1@news.povray.org>
Thanks. It wasn't a serious problem. But it's good to know what's happening.
Apparently something else is going on in Optima's case.

David

From: optima
Date: 13 Aug 2009 05:00:01
Message: <web.4a83d5278ea8565d7fe0bea10@news.povray.org>
"David H. Burns" <dhb### [at] cherokeetelnet> wrote:
> Thanks. It wasn't a serious problem. But it's good to know what's happening.
> Apparently something else is going on in Optima's case.

Issue was resolved by uninstalling v3.6.1c and installing v3.6.2
At least it's faster than a windows format. I hope v3.6.2 doesnt crash as 361c
did. I use 3-4 level nested macros, containing 30-40 parameters with each call.
Thank you.

Post a reply to this message

From: David H  Burns
Date: 13 Aug 2009 11:15:23
Message: <4a842e0b$1@news.povray.org>
Is it possible that the crash was due to excessive memory use? I have
run into an
"out of memory" error when I tried to place a few million ( a few
hundred thousand ?)
too many spheres.

BTW, it seems almost miraculous that Pov-Ray can calculate and display
many thousands
of objects in a relatively short time.

David