POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Model of a CD or DVD? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:22:49 EDT (-0400)
  Model of a CD or DVD? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: JustIntonation
Subject: Model of a CD or DVD?
Date: 10 Mar 2009 04:55:00
Message: <web.49b62a9f71605392b5f719f10@news.povray.org>
Hi All,

My partner is doing a visual arts course for which she needs to make a sculpture
out of common household objects.  I have a biggish pile of CDs and DVDs that are
surplus to requirements and we have some ideas about how these might be slotted,
cut up and joined to produce various potentially visually interesting things.

Before getting out the power tools and protractors we though we might model a
few options to get an idea of what "works" visually and what doesn't.  Having
messed about with POV-Ray a few years back I thought it might be the ideal tool
to try out our ideas.

Does anyone out there have a model of a CD/DVD (preferably with a realistic
looking shiny side and a printable label side that I can map an image onto)
that they might be willing to share?  Alternatively if you can give me a very
rough starting point that I can try to enhance that would be really great.

Very much appreciated.

JustIntonation.

Post a reply to this message

> Does anyone out there have a model of a CD/DVD (preferably with a realistic
> looking shiny side and a printable label side that I can map an image onto)
> that they might be willing to share?

There is a CD include file at http://runevision.com/3d/include/

Post a reply to this message

> Does anyone out there have a model of a CD/DVD (preferably with a realistic
> looking shiny side and a printable label side that I can map an image onto)
> that they might be willing to share?  Alternatively if you can give me a very
> rough starting point that I can try to enhance that would be really great.

CD/DVD are a difficult thing to do in POV, as the physical effect creating the
colors is very different from any surface properties that can be specified in
POV. So even if you find a realistically-looking POV CD model, I wouldn't
expect the interaction between multiple such objects to come anywhere close to
what you'd see in the real world.

Post a reply to this message

clipka nous illumina en ce 2009-03-10 12:44 -->
> "JustIntonation" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> Does anyone out there have a model of a CD/DVD (preferably with a realistic
>> looking shiny side and a printable label side that I can map an image onto)
>> that they might be willing to share?  Alternatively if you can give me a very
>> rough starting point that I can try to enhance that would be really great.
>
> CD/DVD are a difficult thing to do in POV, as the physical effect creating the
> colors is very different from any surface properties that can be specified in
> POV. So even if you find a realistically-looking POV CD model, I wouldn't
> expect the interaction between multiple such objects to come anywhere close to
> what you'd see in the real world.

The include by Rune may not be perfect, but it's prety close.

--
Alain
Fundamentalism: Shit must be born again.

Post a reply to this message

From: JustIntonation
Date: 15 Mar 2009 00:30:01
Message: <web.49bc83f3fcf97533b5f719f10@news.povray.org>
Thanks to everyone for their very helpful comments, and thanks to Rune for
making these object models available.  They suit what we need to do very well
indeed!