POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Max_trace_level larger than 256? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:23:13 EDT (-0400)
  Max_trace_level larger than 256? (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Mike
Subject: Max_trace_level larger than 256?
Date: 10 Mar 2009 00:30:05
Message: <web.49b5eb09eed67712cb45af7a0@news.povray.org>
Hi.
I have been running an egg crate pattern of two different IOR regions unioned
together.  It seems to nearly work, but it seems to max out the trace level
"256/256" when I up the frequency of the pattern.  This probably makes sense
since there will be more internal reflections depending on the freq. of my
pattern.  But, is there anyway to increase the max_trace_level to a value
larger than 256? Maybe there is a patch/hack of the source code?
Also, I notice that sometimes when the max trace level gets blown out I get
either a white or black spot.  I would prefer black, can I choose; what does
the difference correspond to?

Thanks,
Mike

Post a reply to this message

"Mike" <win### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> Hi.
> I have been running an egg crate pattern of two different IOR regions
> unioned
> together.  It seems to nearly work, but it seems to max out the trace
> level
> "256/256" when I up the frequency of the pattern.  This probably makes
> sense
> since there will be more internal reflections depending on the freq. of my
> pattern.  But, is there anyway to increase the max_trace_level to a value
> larger than 256? Maybe there is a patch/hack of the source code?
> Also, I notice that sometimes when the max trace level gets blown out I
> get
> either a white or black spot.  I would prefer black, can I choose; what
> does
> the difference correspond to?

I'm not absolutely sure, but I believe it gets the background color.

cu!
--
#macro G(b,e)b+(e-b)*C/50#end#macro _(b,e,k,l)#local C=0;#while(C<50)
sphere{G(b,e)+3*z.1pigment{rgb G(k,l)}finish{ambient 1}}#local C=C+1;

Post a reply to this message

> Also, I notice that sometimes when the max trace level gets blown out I get
> either a white or black spot.  I would prefer black, can I choose; what does
> the difference correspond to?

I have been told that you can control this with the background color. Never
tested it myself though.

Post a reply to this message

> > Also, I notice that sometimes when the max trace level gets blown out I get
> > either a white or black spot.  I would prefer black, can I choose; what does
> > the difference correspond to?
>
> I have been told that you can control this with the background color. Never
> tested it myself though.

I just tried it:

global_settings
{  assumed_gamma 1
   max_trace_level 5
}

background { rgb <0, 1, 1> } //bright cyan background ;-)

camera
{  location <-3, 2.5, -10>
   look_at <-0.3, 1.2, 0>
   angle 22
}

light_source { <-1, 3, -2> * 10000, rgb 1 }

plane { y, 0 pigment { rgb 1 } }

union
{  #declare I = 0;
   #while (I < 5)
      box { <-1, 0, I>, <1, 2, I + 0.5> }
      #declare I = I + 1;
   #end
   pigment { rgbf <1, 0.8, 0.6, 1> }
}

It doesn't seem to work that way, at least not with my version (the backwards
vintage 2006 3.6.1c.icl8.win32).

Post a reply to this message