POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : mirrored object Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:23:36 EDT (-0400)
  mirrored object (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: twister
Subject: mirrored object
Date: 5 Mar 2009 09:55:01
Message: <web.49afe75ffca6fce7c9ee64130@news.povray.org>
Hello,
I have macro which draws some object and wonder if I can change it in a simple
way to create the same object but mirrored to some axis. I know it is possible
to swap all image along z-axis by specifing negative number for camera's
"right" property. I am thinking of almost the same result but only for
specified object.

Thanks in advance,
twister

Post a reply to this message

I think I've seen a way to use matrix transforms that flip axes, like from
lefthand to righthand, etc...
I don't know if that is useful or not...

ian

"twister" <twi### [at] o2pl> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I have macro which draws some object and wonder if I can change it in a
> simple
> way to create the same object but mirrored to some axis. I know it is
> possible
> to swap all image along z-axis by specifing negative number for camera's
> "right" property. I am thinking of almost the same result but only for
> specified object.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> twister

Post a reply to this message

[GDS|Entropy] <gds### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> I think I've seen a way to use matrix transforms that flip axes, like from
> lefthand to righthand, etc...
> I don't know if that is useful or not...

  How about simply doing a scale <-1, 1, 1>?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> I have macro which draws some object and wonder if I can change it in a simple
> way to create the same object but mirrored to some axis. I know it is possible
> to swap all image along z-axis by specifing negative number for camera's
> "right" property. I am thinking of almost the same result but only for
> specified object.

  scale <-1, 1, 1>

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   How about simply doing a scale <-1, 1, 1>?

I knew there must be very simple solution. Thanks a lot!!!

twister

Post a reply to this message

> I have macro which draws some object and wonder if I can change it in a simple
> way to create the same object but mirrored to some axis. I know it is possible
> to swap all image along z-axis by specifing negative number for camera's
> "right" property. I am thinking of almost the same result but only for
> specified object.

You mean, like "scale <1,1,-1>"? ;)

(You can also write "scale -z", but the compiler will warn you because, although
both you and the compiler know what it is meant to do, it is strictly not the
same. Taken literally, it would reduce your object to one infinitely thin
line... of course POV is clever enough to know that this is quite definitely
not what you want :))

Post a reply to this message

> (You can also write "scale -z", but the compiler will warn you

  This is the first time I see POV-Ray called "compiler"... ;)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> > (You can also write "scale -z", but the compiler will warn you
>
>   This is the first time I see POV-Ray called "compiler"... ;)

Nitpicker! :P