POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : cubic meshes Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  cubic meshes (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: anton
Subject: cubic meshes
Date: 3 Mar 2009 05:05:00
Message: <web.49acfff514173567aff037d40@news.povray.org>
Hello

I am new to POVRAY.
I was wondering if it has capabilities of ray tracing surfaces represented by
higher order meshes (cubic spllines instead of triangular mesh).

Best
Anton

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: cubic meshes
Date: 3 Mar 2009 08:10:00
Message: <web.49ad2aff77a67be8bdc576310@news.povray.org>
"anton" <ant### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I am new to POVRAY.
> I was wondering if it has capabilities of ray tracing surfaces represented by
> higher order meshes (cubic spllines instead of triangular mesh).

It does do bezier patches. They're not represented as meshes though, just
individual patches.

In addition, it supports something called "parametrics", which can be considered
a generalization of spline patches, defined by an arbitrary set of functions
x(u,v), y(u,v) and z(u,v), with u,v ranging from 0,0 to 1,1. I bet they could
be used to do cubic spline patches, too. Again though, no support for complete
meshes.