POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bounding=3Doff vs. high Bounding_Threshold--the same? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:21:47 EDT (-0400)
  Bounding=3Doff vs. high Bounding_Threshold--the same? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Kenneth
Subject: Bounding=3Doff vs. high Bounding_Threshold--the same?
Date: 18 Dec 2008 01:25:00
Message: <web.4949ebb69996b8378dcad930@news.povray.org>
I've run into a strange problem when casting a shadow from a no_image object.
With auto bounding ON, it works fine. Trouble is, I get NO shadow when auto
bounding is OFF. (That is, turning Bounding=off in the INI file.)  However, by
turning it ON, but setting Bounding_threshold to a high value (so that it's
*effectively* off), the shadow reappears correctly.  (BTW, I tried this with
both an area_light and a point_light; same behavior.)

Rather than posting a test scene right off the bat, I'm mostly curious about the
behavior of auto-bounding itself.  I may have a mistaken impression of how it
works. I've always assumed that Bounding OFF, and Bounding ON (but with a high
threshold to *turn* it off), were the exact same thing, yet POV exhibits
different behavior for each, which surprised me. Are they supposed to be
identical?

Ken W.

Post a reply to this message