POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 24 bit heightfields Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:15:17 EDT (-0400)
  24 bit heightfields (Message 1 to 10 of 35)
From: SharkD
Subject: 24 bit heightfields
Date: 10 Dec 2008 18:05:01
Message: <web.494049f1c9a7e0d12c4b57320@news.povray.org>
I generated the following heightfield in some program or other. It uses all 24
bits for elevation information. My question is, how are the colors/height data
organized? I would like to create a pigment that produces similar maps.

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp292/SharkD2161/Support/Untitled1_hf.png

-Mike

Post a reply to this message

> I generated the following heightfield in some program or other. It uses
> all 24 bits for elevation information. My question is, how are the
> colors/height data organized? I would like to create a pigment that
> produces similar maps.

Seems similar to the POV-Ray TGA heightfields, except using all three
channels instead of two.

Basically, red*256*256 + green*256 + blue = 24-bit grayscale value.

Post a reply to this message

Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> SharkD wrote:
> > I generated the following heightfield in some program or other. It uses
> > all 24 bits for elevation information. My question is, how are the
> > colors/height data organized? I would like to create a pigment that
> > produces similar maps.
>
> Seems similar to the POV-Ray TGA heightfields, except using all three
> channels instead of two.
>
> Basically, red*256*256 + green*256 + blue = 24-bit grayscale value.

How would I create this type of pigment? Thanks.

-Mike

Post a reply to this message