POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Go figure! (again) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:21:47 EDT (-0400)
  Go figure! (again) (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Mike the Elder
Subject: Go figure! (again)
Date: 12 Nov 2008 12:40:00
Message: <web.491b145b87020f10ad9dd8b40@news.povray.org>
The last time that I broached the subject of adding human figures to my POV-Ray
work, I became so frustrated that I just gave up and went back to working
figure-free.

I realize that much of what I'm bringing up here has been discussed before, but
things change so much and so fast that I really believe that a current
"from-scratch" thread on the topic is likely to be of benefit to a number of
folks.

The short version of the question is this:
Keeping in mind that I would like to be able to do as much as I can myself and
avoid being stuck with having to purchase "improvements" figure by figure,
texture by texture, hairdo by hairdo, etc., where should I invest my money and
how much should I expect to spend?

am).  I really would like to support the freeware movement and its associated
communities whenever feasible.

Last time I checked, PoseRay was the way to go to convert figures for use in
POV-Ray. Anything new to know about in this area?

hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars worth of add-ons before one can do any

program without giving them a credit card number and signing up for AUTOMATIC

membership!  Am I missing something? Are there free or reasonably priced
do-it-yourself tools usable with DAZ Studio where I can learn to design my own
clothing, hair, etc. for the figures?

both figures and clothing of my own design, albeit at a fairly basic level.  It
seems as though I could easily spend more to get as far with DAZ.

can integrate with furniture and props that I create directly in POV-Ray?  Am I
stuck generating figures with empty hands sitting on empty air in the figure
software and then tediously trying to match things up by trial and error in
SDL?

Finally, what about whole new alternatives I might be missing?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Best Regards,
Mike C.

Post a reply to this message