POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SMPOV, Vista 64-Bit and POV-Ray 3.6 64-bit Binary Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:19:34 EDT (-0400)
  SMPOV, Vista 64-Bit and POV-Ray 3.6 64-bit Binary (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Theogott
Subject: SMPOV, Vista 64-Bit and POV-Ray 3.6 64-bit Binary
Date: 2 Nov 2008 12:45:01
Message: <web.490de656d1ae5d2ee95244160@news.povray.org>
I just got the chance to use SMPOV the first time with my new Quad-Core System,
running the newest Windows Vista-64. Together with the POV-Ray 3.6 Binary (64
bit Version).

I did not expect to make it working, but I tried. And was not surprised that the
original PicPender (the part that puts the Tiles together to the final picture)
does not work on my system (path problems).

But there is another PicPender builtin in SMPOV, the CPU-PicPender. Its however
only called on large-size Pictures as it is slower when horizontal tiling is
used. The size that switches over to the CPU-PicPender is defined in the
"Private.ini" by default its 4096.

So this is how to get SMPOV working with POV-Ray 3.6 (64-bit) on Vista 64 bit
rendering large size images:

- switched off UAC (makes Vista usable :-)
- started SMPOV and RenderAgent "as Admin" (right Mousebutton, Popup-Menu)
- change "private.ini" the "4096" to "2096"
- choose "user def. ->" in Resolution use something bigger then 2096
- use only "vertical tiling" as many tiles as you want.

Thats all. It still works - while for large pictures only at this moment.
I'll tell you all when there is a new release.

PS: If there are some users out ther still using SMPOV and mailing me if they
like and what they are doing with SMPOV, this could motivate me and speed up
the new update :-). Use the mailadress on my web-site.

I am thinking of increasing maximum resolution for the next release also.