POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fractals aren't working! Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:31:49 EDT (-0400)
  Fractals aren't working! (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Aarqon
Subject: Fractals aren't working!
Date: 21 Apr 2008 17:40:01
Message: <web.480d094194191730f316bb1c0@news.povray.org>
Whenever I try to render a fractal, all I get are vertical colored bars, as if
you had figrued out one line horizontally, and smeared it vertically. This
happens on everything except a sphere (which makes the fractal, but it's really
distorted and doesn't line up right with itself). Despite this, some (not all)
of the fractals that came with POV work, and when I try to copy-paste the
fractals from those, more lines.

What's happening?
ELSE
What am I doing wrong?

If it helps: I'm running Windows XP, and I have 512mb RAM.

Post a reply to this message

> Whenever I try to render a fractal, all I get are vertical colored bars, as if
> you had figrued out one line horizontally, and smeared it vertically.

  The fractal patterns are calculated in the x-y plane. Are you applying
them to some surface on the x-z plane? If so, you'll need to rotate the
pattern 90 degrees around the x axis.

  A small example scene demonstrating your problem would be helpful.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> > Whenever I try to render a fractal, all I get are vertical colored bars, as if
> > you had figrued out one line horizontally, and smeared it vertically.
>
>   The fractal patterns are calculated in the x-y plane. Are you applying
> them to some surface on the x-z plane? If so, you'll need to rotate the
> pattern 90 degrees around the x axis.
>
>   A small example scene demonstrating your problem would be helpful.
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

Now that I think about it, it makes sense. If it was only taking the bottom line
(the common point between x-z and x-y), then it would smear it. I'll try that.
Thanks!