POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-ray in commercial software Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:18:51 EDT (-0400)
  POV-ray in commercial software (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Tom Sirgedas
Subject: POV-ray in commercial software
Date: 15 Feb 2008 18:30:01
Message: <web.47b62005944dba22386913cb0@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I'm interested in possibly using POV-ray to create some nice graphical effects
for an existing commercial paint program (closed source).  Is this allowed?  I
think the answer is 'no', but I wanted to make sure.

This part of the POV-Ray Modification License seems to say no:

  1.5. Neither the Licensed Version nor any Modified Version may be linked
       into any other software package either at compile-time using (for
       example) an object code linker nor at run-time as (for example) a DLL,
       ActiveX control, OLE server, COM/DCOM server, or other remoting system
       including, without limitation, any linkage that could blur the
       end-user's perception of which program provides which functions.

But part of the POV-Ray Distribution License says this:

3.1. Subject to the terms and conditions of this agreement, and in
     return for Distributor agreeing to be bound by the terms of this
     agreement, POV grants the Distributor permission to make a copy of
     the Software in any of the following circumstances:

      (d) by including the Software as part of a Distribution where:

            (i) neither the primary nor a substantial purpose of the
                distribution of the Distribution is the distribution of
                the Software.  That is, the distribution of the Software
                is merely incidental to the distribution of the
                Distribution; and

            (ii) if the Software was not included in the Distribution,
                 the remaining software and data included within the
                 Distribution would continue to function effectively and
                 according to its advertised or intended purpose;

Tom

Post a reply to this message