POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Best way to simulate a sun Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:31:06 EDT (-0400)
  Best way to simulate a sun (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: SharkD
Subject: Best way to simulate a sun
Date: 8 Feb 2008 04:35:00
Message: <web.47ac21fd7876da1cce83de880@news.povray.org>
I considered using an area light, but an area light is flat and doesn't luminate
equally in all directions. Should I use a point light that looks like a sphere,
or a sphere with high ambient values?

Thanks!

Mike

Post a reply to this message

> I considered using an area light, but an area light is flat and doesn't luminate
> equally in all directions. Should I use a point light that looks like a sphere,
> or a sphere with high ambient values?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mike

use circular orient.
If you want to use an ambient sphere then you have to use radiosity. If

time.

Post a reply to this message

Jan Dvorak <jan### [at] centrumcz> wrote:
> use circular orient.
> If you want to use an ambient sphere then you have to use radiosity. If

> time.

Well, a circlular area light would be just as flat as a rectangular one. Also,
radiosity wouldn't make sense in outer space.

Is there a good way to get the sun object to emit light?

Post a reply to this message

> Jan Dvorak <jan### [at] centrumcz> wrote:
>> use circular orient.
>> If you want to use an ambient sphere then you have to use radiosity. If

>> time.
>
> Well, a circlular area light would be just as flat as a rectangular one.

Search the documentation on 'orient'. A circular area light with
'orient' on it will look as if it was a spherical area light.

 > Also, radiosity wouldn't make sense in outer space.

Why not? The light effect doesn't happen only in presence of air or gravity.

Post a reply to this message

> Jan Dvorak <jan### [at] centrumcz> wrote:
>> use circular orient.
>> If you want to use an ambient sphere then you have to use radiosity. If

>> time.
>
> Well, a circlular area light would be just as flat as a rectangular one.
> Also,
> radiosity wouldn't make sense in outer space.

but if you add the orient keyword, it should behave like a spherical
area_light... I think...

or is orient a MegaPOV feature?

cu!
--
#macro G(b,e)b+(e-b)*C/50#end#macro _(b,e,k,l)#local C=0;#while(C<50)
sphere{G(b,e)+3*z.1pigment{rgb G(k,l)}finish{ambient 1}}#local C=C+1;

Post a reply to this message