POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to Loop a Render?? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:31:20 EDT (-0400)
  How to Loop a Render?? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: link74
Subject: How to Loop a Render??
Date: 4 Jan 2008 18:30:00
Message: <web.477ec170dbb015c458035aeb0@news.povray.org>
Hi All,

I'm new to POV-Ray and I have a fairly simple question (I think).  How can I
loop an entire rendering so once the rendering is finished, it just starts
right back up again?  It would be nice if I could make a large for loop so it
would render 'x' number of times.

Thanks.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm new to POV-Ray and I have a fairly simple question (I think).  How can I
> loop an entire rendering so once the rendering is finished, it just starts
> right back up again?  It would be nice if I could make a large for loop so it
> would render 'x' number of times.

What would be the purpose of that...?

Post a reply to this message

> I'm new to POV-Ray and I have a fairly simple question (I think).  How can I
> loop an entire rendering so once the rendering is finished, it just starts
> right back up again?  It would be nice if I could make a large for loop so it
> would render 'x' number of times.
>
> Thanks.

Check out 'animation' in the POV documentation.

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Nikias
Date: 5 Jan 2008 08:54:24
Message: <477f8c10$1@news.povray.org>
link74 wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm new to POV-Ray and I have a fairly simple question (I think).  How can I
> loop an entire rendering so once the rendering is finished, it just starts
> right back up again?  It would be nice if I could make a large for loop so it
> would render 'x' number of times.
>
> Thanks.

If you're using POV-Ray for Windows, make yourself an ini-File with
settings for how it is supposed to be rendered (look it up in the
Documentation, quite useful if you want to have "hard-copy" of your
render-setup for backup-purposes) and just add it several (or make that
"x" ;-) times into the queue.

I'm guessing that you want to use the output of the render as input for
the next, and also look at Leroy's answer, animation might be of use as
well, unless you're already rendering an animation with output used as
input...

Regards,
Tim

--
aka "Tim Nikias"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 5 Jan 2008 10:45:54
Message: <477fa632$1@news.povray.org>
link74 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/01/04 18:29:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm new to POV-Ray and I have a fairly simple question (I think).  How can I
> loop an entire rendering so once the rendering is finished, it just starts
> right back up again?  It would be nice if I could make a large for loop so it
> would render 'x' number of times.
>
> Thanks.

I assume that each image will be different.
I may also insinuate that the last image will go back to what the first one was.

This looks like an animation.
You are probably using the windows version.

At the top of the editor, next of the resolutions, there is a text box, it's
called the "command line option box"
In that box, put +kff<some value>
This will turn on the animation feature and start the automatic rendering of X
frames.
In your scene, you use the "clock" variable to control the animation. It's value
goes from zero to 1. It can be used to move, scale, rotate, add or remove any
object or materials.
The various conditional statements are most usefull for animations. Take a look
at #it(condition)...#else...#end and #switch(condition) #case(value)...#break,
#range(value,value)...#break #else...#end

If you want your animation to loop, add "+kc" to enable cyclic animation.

--
Alain
A day without sunshine is like, night

Post a reply to this message

From: gregjohn
Date: 8 Jan 2008 10:30:00
Message: <web.478396cb7aec1f9cd30d1e600@news.povray.org>
"link74" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm new to POV-Ray and I have a fairly simple question (I think).  How can I
> loop an entire rendering so once the rendering is finished, it just starts
> right back up again?  It would be nice if I could make a large for loop so it
> would render 'x' number of times.
>
> Thanks.

As far as a *presentation* of a cyclic action, I'm sure you're aware of the
options of an animated GIF or simply making a MPEG-I and then using a good
player that doesn't jerk when it loops.

The cyclic loop switch in povray simply determines whether, for five frames
(Final_Frame=5) , the clock values go from 0, 0.2, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8;  versus 0,
0.25, 0.50, 0.75, 1.0.    That's all it does.

As far as making **cyclic things happen** in povray, you could, to get "N"
cycles during an animation, use hings like:

i) rotate,  like  rotate 360*SOME_VECTOR_AXIS*clock * N
ii) mod,    like translate 5*x*mod(N*clock,1)
iii) trig functions,   like  pigment {rgb <sin(2*pi*N*clock), cos(2*pi*N*clock),
0>}