POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Short code competition Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:12:03 EDT (-0400)
  Short code competition (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Paul Bourke
Subject: Short code competition
Date: 23 Nov 2007 20:20:01
Message: <web.47477b9d419fd2e765f2686d0@news.povray.org>
Thanks for the feedback on the short code competition.

There were a few suggestions along the lines of limiting the competition to a
theme, reduced primitive set, and even specific colours. One of the goals
behind this competition was to show off the programability of PovRay (if in a
perverse way) and attract attention by the fact that only 256 bytes were used.
Increasing the bytes and limiting the competition in some way risks a less
interesting collection of renders while increasing the byte count makes it seem
less impressive.

One comment was "What's the 'new spin' going to be this time round?". How about
sticking with the same byte count (256) but making it an animation ... lets say
100 frames (and just spinning your creation will hopefully be frowned upon by
the judges). By this I mean of course that the entries will be rendered with a
clock that varies between 0 to 1 over 100 frames. For space reasons the frame
size might also be limited to 400x300 pixels.

Any feedback?

Is 256 bytes too difficult? If I increased it I wouldn't want to increase it by
much, say to 300 bytes?

To ward off one question of logistics, "How will I render all this?". Don't
worry about it, I'll manage.
P a u l   B o u r k e
http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/

Post a reply to this message