POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A question about sss implementation in Blender Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:18:53 EDT (-0400)
  A question about sss implementation in Blender (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Antonio Ferrari
Subject: A question about sss implementation in Blender
Date: 23 Oct 2007 08:35:01
Message: <web.471de9c7c68555694e64f15d0@news.povray.org>
Here it is what I've read for Blender.

Not much code had to be changed to integrate SSS into the render pipeline.

- For each material with SSS, a preprocessing pass is done similar to
environment mapping.
- This pass is fully threaded, and works similar to rendering a regular
layer.
- For each tile, two zbuffers are created, one with the frontmost faces and
one with the backmost faces.
- The points on these faces are then shaded, but with only diffuse shading,
including AO and radiosity.
- These points are all collected into a list, with their color, 3d
coordinate and area.
- Using the list of points, an octree is built for quick lookup during
rendering.
- When doing regular rendering, instead of using the diffuse shading, a
color computed by taking a weighted average of points in the octree is
used.

And for Povray are these steps easy to implement or not?

Post a reply to this message

> - For each tile, two zbuffers are created, one with the frontmost faces and
> one with the backmost faces.
<snip>
> And for Povray are these steps easy to implement or not?

POV-Ray is a ray-tracer, not a scanline renderer. The algorithms for POV-Ray
would be different (and simpler).

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message