POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Think in different coordinates. Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:26:15 EDT (-0400)
  Think in different coordinates. (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Pahidla
Subject: Think in different coordinates.
Date: 17 Sep 2007 13:55:00
Message: <web.46eebedadfbb472b3ccd3f470@news.povray.org>
Hi,

If I'm an old man who can't change his ways and insists on thinking in
coordinates where x points right, y forward and z up, is there a way to set
up the whole scene in those coordinates and then apply a single
transformation to the entire scene?

Thanks!

Dola

Post a reply to this message

> If I'm an old man who can't change his ways and insists on thinking in
> coordinates where x points right, y forward and z up, is there a way to set
> up the whole scene in those coordinates and then apply a single
> transformation to the entire scene?

  The coordinate system is a camera setting, and can be changed.

  Setting the 'right' and 'up' vectors appropriately will make your
scene work with that coordinate system you want.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> If I'm an old man who can't change his ways and insists on thinking in
> coordinates where x points right, y forward and z up, is there a way to set
> up the whole scene in those coordinates and then apply a single
> transformation to the entire scene?

use a camera like this :

camera {right x*-4/3 sky z location <..> look_at <..>}

Don't forget you did that when using torii, height-fields, etc...

Fabien.

Post a reply to this message

Fa3ien <fab### [at] yourshoesskynetbe> wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > If I'm an old man who can't change his ways and insists on thinking in
> > coordinates where x points right, y forward and z up, is there a way to set
> > up the whole scene in those coordinates and then apply a single
> > transformation to the entire scene?
>
> use a camera like this :
>
> camera {right x*-4/3 sky z location <..> look_at <..>}
>
> Don't forget you did that when using torii, height-fields, etc...
>
> Fabien.

Since I got to different responses, I was wondering if I could reach a
consensus. It seems like the first version really is just one command (if I
could see the actual command that would be great - I'm such a beginner, I
don't know what "set" means) while in the second way I still have to
remember other things.

Post a reply to this message

Le 17.09.2007 23:20, Pahidla nous fit lire :

> Since I got to different responses, I was wondering if I could reach a
> consensus. It seems like the first version really is just one command (if I
> could see the actual command that would be great - I'm such a beginner, I
> don't know what "set" means) while in the second way I still have to
> remember other things.

Nop, Fabien & Warp agree!
Same solution.

--
The superior man understands what is right;
the inferior man understands what will sell.

Post a reply to this message

> Le 17.09.2007 23:20, Pahidla nous fit lire :
>
> > Since I got to different responses, I was wondering if I could reach a
> > consensus. It seems like the first version really is just one command (if I
> > could see the actual command that would be great - I'm such a beginner, I
> > don't know what "set" means) while in the second way I still have to
> > remember other things.
>
> Nop, Fabien & Warp agree!
> Same solution.
>

> --
> The superior man understands what is right;
> the inferior man understands what will sell.
> -- Confucius

OK, now I see it. Thanks!