POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : What's your favorite aspect ratio (& for what purpose)? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:32:55 EDT (-0400)
  What's your favorite aspect ratio (& for what purpose)? (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Charles C
Subject: What's your favorite aspect ratio (& for what purpose)?
Date: 8 Feb 2007 16:20:01
Message: <web.45cb93ad6b7c627d74eed8480@news.povray.org>
I'd been wanting to ask this survey-y question a while back but forgot about
it and then was reminded by the thread titled "Wide-screen orthographic
camera?"
Charles

Question:
What's your favorite aspect ratio in general and/or for what specific
purpose?  4/3 has of course been the defacto standard for a long long time
but seems to be getting used less and less. Televisions are going one way
and computers are going with something else.  If you want to make an image
or video that might be displayed on different media or different devices,
what do you choose?  Here are a few common landscape ratios, but don't
forget their portrait equilvalents...

1/1           1:1 square
5/4        1.25:1 e.g. most 17" non-wide-screen monitors @1280x1024, 8x10
print
4/3       1.333:1 e.g. most displays
1/sqrt(2) 1.414:1 e.g. iso paper sizes, A4 etc
3/2         1.5:1 e.g. 4x6 print
16/10       1.6:1 e.g. wide-screen monitors
16/9      1.777:1 e.g. dvd's & widescreen tv
           1.85:1 e.g. not-so-wide cinematography (comedies)
           2.39:1 e.g. cinematography  (blockbusters)

Any others? Golden ratio (very close to widescreen monitors)?

Post a reply to this message