POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Any way to reduce povray memory usage? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:26:43 EDT (-0400)
  Any way to reduce povray memory usage? (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: quickfur
Subject: Any way to reduce povray memory usage?
Date: 2 Feb 2007 18:35:01
Message: <web.45c3c9589529239dd5364bf0@news.povray.org>
I'm making a fractal object built from spheres and cones, and my
laptop (500MB RAM) is unable to handle anything more than 5
levels of recursion. Is there any way of reducing the amount of
memory povray uses to construct the object? I figured out how
to get rid of the recursive macro to reduce parsing time (use an
array, the elements of which reference each other to implicitly
create a recursive object), but it seems that povray still has to
explicitly instantiate all the objects at the end of the parsing
stage. At 6 levels of recursion, this last stage causes my poor
laptop to thrash like crazy and basically make no progress.
(There are 12^n constituent objects in the fractal, where n
is the recursion level, so this thing grows pretty dang fast.)

Is there any way to control POV's resource usage patterns or
is the only solution to buy more RAM? Thanks.

Post a reply to this message