POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Cinema 4D Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:21:14 EDT (-0400)
  Cinema 4D (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: janper
Subject: Cinema 4D
Date: 23 Dec 2006 14:15:00
Message: <web.458d7fb65dec2aa91a48ad3b0@news.povray.org>
sorry for an essential question:

is it possible to render a scene from Cinema 4D 9.6 in POV-ray?
i haven't found any conversion tool yet

thx!

Post a reply to this message

From: Gilles Tran
Subject: Re: Cinema 4D
Date: 24 Dec 2006 06:40:45
Message: <458e673d$1@news.povray.org>

web.458d7fb65dec2aa91a48ad3b0@news.povray.org...
> sorry for an essential question:
>
> is it possible to render a scene from Cinema 4D 9.6 in POV-ray?
> i haven't found any conversion tool yet

Yes and no. It's possible to export the scene geometry with a limited subset
of the materials (plain colour textures and bitmaps) using the OBJ or 3DS
export and then converting this to POV-Ray with Poseray or 3DWin. Lights,
camera settings, procedural textures and other C4D-only features (including
displacement mapping) won't be converted, so a good deal of the scene will
need to be recreated in POV-Ray.

Perhaps a FBX export could be more comprehensive but you'll need something
able to read FBX and output to POV-Ray (I see that LynX 3D can do that but
I've not tested it). In any case, procedural materials are likely to be out
of the question.

G.