POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Cross-Platform Curiosity Question Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:17:29 EDT (-0400)
  Cross-Platform Curiosity Question (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Dave Matthews
Subject: Cross-Platform Curiosity Question
Date: 19 Jul 2006 10:25:00
Message: <web.44be3f49385b538d8c7259570@news.povray.org>
When I create a file on my Mac, whether using MegaPOV or POVRay (at least I
think I also get them from the POVRay for Mac version -- all the examples
I'm looking at now come from MegaPOV), when I bring the file up in my
POVRay for Windows editor, I get little rectangular boxes at the end of
some, but not all, lines.

They have no effect on the parsing of the scene file, and I'm assuming
they're some sort of end-of-line symbol or something, but, since many lines
lack them entirely, while some others have a string of six or seven of
these, I'm just curious what they're from.

Again, this is purely out of curiosity, and because I know that there are a
bunch of you who can answer this.  The only time they bother me is when I
want to share a scene file and want to make it look pretty; then I go
through and manually delete each of these in my Windows editor....

Thanks

Dave Matthews

Post a reply to this message

"Dave Matthews" <dav### [at] mnwestedu> wrote:
> When I create a file on my Mac, whether using MegaPOV or POVRay (at least I
> think I also get them from the POVRay for Mac version -- all the examples
> I'm looking at now come from MegaPOV), when I bring the file up in my
> POVRay for Windows editor, I get little rectangular boxes at the end of
> some, but not all, lines.
>
> They have no effect on the parsing of the scene file, and I'm assuming
> they're some sort of end-of-line symbol or something, but, since many lines
> lack them entirely, while some others have a string of six or seven of
> these, I'm just curious what they're from.

Different operating systems use different end-of-line conventions, but the
POV parser copes with them all. The editor may get confused though. There
are many  free programs that can do the end-of-line conversion for you.

Unix/Linux uses control-J (linefeed), Mac uses control-M (carriage return),
and the PC uses control-M followed by control-J.

Post a reply to this message