POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray 3.6 crashes Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:18:41 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray 3.6 crashes (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Bill Pragnell
Subject: POV-Ray 3.6 crashes
Date: 2 May 2006 08:20:00
Message: <web.44574e3cdb146539731f01d10@news.povray.org>
I've been having a problem with running a render recently. The scene in
question is parse-heavy (it takes about 30 minutes to parse on my iBook),
but I don't know if that's relevant. It gets to about 40 million tokens
(not always the same number, though) before throwing the following error:

"The POV-Ray core rendering code threw an unhandled exception.
The backend thread has been shut down and you will not be able to perform
any more renders.
It is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED that you save your work and exit POV-Ray now.
(Note that if internal structures have been damaged POV-Ray may crash
immediately after you click OK)."

....and the following parse error in the messages pane:

"Parse error: out of memory. Cannot allocate 90720 bytes for fn:
FunctionEntry."

This is from the standard POV 3.6 download, installed under XP Pro (service
pack 2) on a 2.7GHz AMD-FX55 with 2GB RAM. The same scene runs fine on my
office machine (0.9MHz Win98, POV 3.6 again), and my iBook (POV 3.6.1 Mac).

It can't be running out of memory; the peak usage should be no more than
600MB.

Has anybody else seen this error, and, if so, know why it occurs?

Bill

Post a reply to this message

> I've been having a problem with running a render recently. The scene in
> question is parse-heavy (it takes about 30 minutes to parse on my iBook),
> but I don't know if that's relevant. It gets to about 40 million tokens
> (not always the same number, though) before throwing the following error:
>
> "The POV-Ray core rendering code threw an unhandled exception.
> The backend thread has been shut down and you will not be able to perform
> any more renders.
> It is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED that you save your work and exit POV-Ray now.
> (Note that if internal structures have been damaged POV-Ray may crash
> immediately after you click OK)."
>
> ....and the following parse error in the messages pane:
>
> "Parse error: out of memory. Cannot allocate 90720 bytes for fn:
> FunctionEntry."
>
> This is from the standard POV 3.6 download, installed under XP Pro (service
> pack 2) on a 2.7GHz AMD-FX55 with 2GB RAM. The same scene runs fine on my
> office machine (0.9MHz Win98, POV 3.6 again), and my iBook (POV 3.6.1 Mac).
>
> It can't be running out of memory; the peak usage should be no more than
> 600MB.
>
> Has anybody else seen this error, and, if so, know why it occurs?
>
> Bill

Are you doing any file I/O in your scene?  If so, make sure you have the
proper closing parantheses in your #write directives.  In my current
project, I missed one and it would cause POV-Ray to crash with the error
you gave.  For example, this:

#write (file2,"
         object {
                 TrackTie
                 Reorient_Trans(y,",raxis,")
                 Reorient_Trans(z,",(point2-point1)*(x+z),")
                 Reorient_Trans(",(point2-point1)*(x+z),",",point2-point1,")
                 translate ",point1,"
                 pigment { color rgb <1,1,0> }
         }"

Notice the missing ")" at the end?  That's what was causing my problem.

-DJ

Post a reply to this message