POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : cannot open png file Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:15:02 EDT (-0400)
  cannot open png file (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: cpmac
Subject: cannot open png file
Date: 5 Apr 2006 06:25:01
Message: <web.44339a126679399260277a370@news.povray.org>
Hello
I'm trying to experiment with including bimaps.
I've used the following code but get the message
parse error cannot open png file.
The file renders correctly if I put a simple pigment instead of the texture.

What am I doing wrong?

#declare panel= prism {
    linear_sweep
    linear_spline
    0, // sweep the following shape from here ...
    0.01, // ... up through here
    4, // the number of points making up the shape ...
    <0,0>, <2,0>, <2,2>, <0,2>
     texture {
    pigment{ image_map { png "/noddy2.png" }
    }
 rotate<-90,0,0>
 translate<0,6,0>
 scale 0.5
  }

Post a reply to this message

"cpmac" <web### [at] cpmaccom> wrote in message
> Hello
> I'm trying to experiment with including bimaps.
> I've used the following code but get the message
> parse error cannot open png file.
> The file renders correctly if I put a simple pigment instead of the
> texture.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> #declare panel= prism {
>    linear_sweep
>    linear_spline
>    0, // sweep the following shape from here ...
>    0.01, // ... up through here
>    4, // the number of points making up the shape ...
>    <0,0>, <2,0>, <2,2>, <0,2>
>     texture {
>    pigment{ image_map { png "/noddy2.png" }
>    }
> rotate<-90,0,0>
> translate<0,6,0>
> scale 0.5
>  }

I think the forward slash is the problem. I removed it and it parsed without
error on Windows, finding a png file in the same directory as the pov file.
You're also missing a closing curly bracket on the pigment.

Regards,
Chris B.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm trying to experiment with including bimaps.
> I've used the following code but get the message
> parse error cannot open png file.
> The file renders correctly if I put a simple pigment instead of the texture.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

I've partly resolved the problem. The slash before the file name shouldn't
be there.
But now I have no error message and see no panel. Just the floor and the
background.

> #declare panel= prism {
>     linear_sweep
>     linear_spline
>     0, // sweep the following shape from here ...
>     0.01, // ... up through here
>     4, // the number of points making up the shape ...
>     <0,0>, <2,0>, <2,2>, <0,2>
>      texture {
>     pigment{ image_map { png "/noddy2.png" }
>     }
>  rotate<-90,0,0>
>  translate<0,6,0>
>  scale 0.5
>   }

Post a reply to this message

> I'm trying to experiment with including bimaps.
> I've used the following code but get the message
> parse error cannot open png file.

>     pigment{ image_map { png "/noddy2.png" }

Well - is there a file "/noddy2.png"?  That would be in your root
directory which is - unlikely.

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 14 Mar. 2006)

> > I'm trying to experiment with including bimaps.
> > I've used the following code but get the message
> > parse error cannot open png file.
>
> >     pigment{ image_map { png "/noddy2.png" }
>
> Well - is there a file "/noddy2.png"?  That would be in your root
> directory which is - unlikely.
>
> Christoph
>
> --
> POV-Ray tutorials, include files, Landscape of the week:
> http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 14 Mar. 2006)
> MegaPOV with mechanics simulation: http://megapov.inetart.net/

I've corrected the slash (the png file is in the same directory as the pov
file)
I've corrected the curly bracket.

 #declare panel= prism {
    linear_sweep
    linear_spline
    0, // sweep the following shape from here ...
    0.01, // ... up through here
    4, // the number of points making up the shape ...
    <0,0>, <5,0>, <5,5>, <0,5>
     texture {
      pigment{
      image_map {png "noddy2.png"
        }
       }

      }
 rotate<-90,0,0>
 translate<0,6,0>
 scale 0.5
  }
The file parses with no error message but no visible result.
How is an image file supposed to adapt to it's suport. The image file has a
transparent part. Could it be that only the transparent part is on the
panel?

cpmac

Post a reply to this message

>     0, // sweep the following shape from here ...
>     0.01, // ... up through here
>     4, // the number of points making up the shape ...
>     <0,0>, <5,0>, <5,5>, <0,5>
>      texture {
>       pigment{
>       image_map {png "noddy2.png"
>         }
>        }
>
>       }
>  rotate<-90,0,0>
>  translate<0,6,0>
>  scale 0.5
>   }
> The file parses with no error message but no visible result.
> How is an image file supposed to adapt to it's suport. The image file has a
> transparent part. Could it be that only the transparent part is on the
> panel?
>
> cpmac

You should prisms are created as curves on the x-z plane and swept through
the y-axis.  On the other hand, image_maps are mapped on the x-y plane and
swept through the z-axis.  In order to get what I assume you are expecting,
you need to rotate the image_map to suit the prism face orientation.  Also
note that image_maps are mapped from <0,0> to <1,1> and repeated (unless
the once keyword is used) so if you want the image_map to fit the 5x5 prism
face exactly, you will need to scale it as well.
(see 3.5.1.5.1  Specifying an Image Map)

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> "cpmac" <web### [at] cpmaccom> wrote:
> >  #declare panel= prism {
> >     linear_sweep
> >     linear_spline
> >     0, // sweep the following shape from here ...
> >     0.01, // ... up through here
> >     4, // the number of points making up the shape ...
> >     <0,0>, <5,0>, <5,5>, <0,5>
> >      texture {
> >       pigment{
> >       image_map {png "noddy2.png"
> >         }
> >        }
> >
> >       }
> >  rotate<-90,0,0>
> >  translate<0,6,0>
> >  scale 0.5
> >   }
> > The file parses with no error message but no visible result.
> > How is an image file supposed to adapt to it's suport. The image file has a
> > transparent part. Could it be that only the transparent part is on the
> > panel?
> >
> > cpmac
>
> You should prisms are created as curves on the x-z plane and swept through
> the y-axis.  On the other hand, image_maps are mapped on the x-y plane and
> swept through the z-axis.  In order to get what I assume you are expecting,
> you need to rotate the image_map to suit the prism face orientation.  Also
> note that image_maps are mapped from <0,0> to <1,1> and repeated (unless
> the once keyword is used) so if you want the image_map to fit the 5x5 prism
> face exactly, you will need to scale it as well.
> (see 3.5.1.5.1  Specifying an Image Map)
>
> -tgq

Thanks for the advice . I'll look into all that.
I did manage to solve my problem by adapting the "sign" from the cliche
sample in POV. That uses a "superellipse"
From my trials and errors I seems to me that the image map format must be
the same as the set output format. In the standard setting of BMP output
the script wouldn't work with a png, but with +FN in the control box, the
png file was read and the output was a png file.

Post a reply to this message