POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Distributing official binaries on a dissertation CD Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:14:32 EDT (-0400)
  Distributing official binaries on a dissertation CD (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: dawidi
Subject: Distributing official binaries on a dissertation CD
Date: 21 Feb 2006 16:55:00
Message: <web.43fb8b43b80357254b19f0c60@news.povray.org>
Hi,
I'm currently doing my master's dissertation (Diplomarbeit) in computer
science. The topic is animating moving objects (gyroscopes, shopping carts,
coins, multi-pendulae) from MATLAB simulations using POV-Ray.
I plan about 1/4 of the final text to be a sort of tutorial on how to use my
macros and scene files for creating new animations after changing the
parameters of the simulation (like, reducing the mass of a pendulum or
changing the initial velocity of the cart).

My question is, can I include the current POV-Ray 3.6 32-bit Windows
binaries (the installer executable) on the CD-ROM that will accompany the
printed dissertation?

I would do this only as a convenience to the professor (and maybe one or two
other reviewers) so they don't have to locate and download the file from the
povray.org site, and to give it the feeling of completeness. Of course I
couldn't include MATLAB on the CD, but I guess one of the major points in
my work will be to show that the rendering can be done in high quality and
with relatively simple scene file code instead of a complex commercial
product like 3DS Max (which the professor had originally recommended).
Most likely only one copy of the CD will be made and of course it will be
clear that its main purpose is not the distribution of the POV-Ray
binaries. However it IS possible that I will receive some money for my work
(but not for the distribution).

I tried to swallow the legal and distribution statements to find and answer
to this, but I'm not quite sure I interpreted it correctly, as English
isn't my first language - let alone judicial English ;-)

Greetings from Bavaria!

Post a reply to this message

> My question is, can I include the current POV-Ray 3.6 32-bit Windows
> binaries (the installer executable) on the CD-ROM that will accompany the
> printed dissertation?

The answer is yes.

	Thorsten, POV-Team

Post a reply to this message