POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : P.O.V. vs Poser Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:22:18 EDT (-0400)
  P.O.V. vs Poser (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: sully323
Subject: P.O.V. vs Poser
Date: 14 Jan 2006 23:55:01
Message: <web.43c9d5367f7018f4a44562510@news.povray.org>
I've been using POV for about 3 yrs;I am far from an expert, but am
generally happy with my results. 95% of my  stuff is modeled in sPATCH,
then rendered in POV.  This works well most the time, except for human
forms.  My brother bought POSER a couple of years ago, and convinced me
too,also.
     Now my brother and I want to collaborate on some "serious" animations.
The problem is; he basically thinks we should convert all my sPATCH models
into POSER props( a lot of work...) and render it all with POSER 5's
raytracer.
  I really like POV, but animating a POSER figure, then exporting each frame
seperatly as an Obj file,running them through POSERAY, adjusting the
maps,etc and then including them into POV also seems like a lot of work....
   I'd like to hear any views/oppinions as to wich would be better please

                 Thanx   Chris

Post a reply to this message

>   I really like POV, but animating a POSER figure, then exporting each frame
> seperatly as an Obj file,running them through POSERAY, adjusting the
> maps,etc and then including them into POV also seems like a lot of work....
>    I'd like to hear any views/oppinions as to wich would be better please

Set up the camera and lights identically in both, render the figure in
Poser and the rest in POV, then composite them?  hmm...

--
Tim Cook
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-empyrean

Post a reply to this message

>I've been using POV for about 3 yrs;I am far from an expert, but am
>generally happy with my results. 95% of my  stuff is modeled in sPATCH,
>then rendered in POV.  This works well most the time, except for human
>forms.  My brother bought POSER a couple of years ago, and convinced me
>too,also.
>     Now my brother and I want to collaborate on some "serious" animations.
>The problem is; he basically thinks we should convert all my sPATCH models
>into POSER props( a lot of work...) and render it all with POSER 5's
>raytracer.
>  I really like POV, but animating a POSER figure, then exporting each frame
>seperatly as an Obj file,running them through POSERAY, adjusting the
>maps,etc and then including them into POV also seems like a lot of work....
>   I'd like to hear any views/oppinions as to wich would be better please

I've done both and it's a lot of work either way.

Which way is better depends on what sort of things you want to do with
it. For animations that involve Poser figures you're almost certain to
be better off doing the renders in Poser, For static scenes that involve
a lot of POV objects you're better off in POV.

It's also worth considering doing partial renders in each application.
The end result won't be as convincing as rendering in one or the other,
but you can get away with it some of the time, and it can be a lot
easier than converting everything.

Getting the camera angles and lighting to match is a bit tricky.

You can render your animated figures in Poser against a transparent
background to produce a series of still frames. Create your scenery in
POV and drop in the Poser frames as an image_map on a flat panel. Good
for situations where the animated figures are only a small part of a
large scene.

You can render background scenery in POV and create, say, an
uncompressed AVI animation. You can then drop that onto the background
plane of Poser. Not good for situations where the shadows of the Poser
figures would fall onto objects in the background.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

> I've done both and it's a lot of work either way.
>
> It's also worth considering doing partial renders in each application.....
> >
> Getting the camera angles and lighting to match is a bit tricky.

> Mike Williams
> Gentleman of Leisure

 Thanx for both answers..this will work sometimes...but I have a feeling it
could mean doing BOTH..the "worst" of both worlds...moving stuff into POSER
 and exporting tons of obj files into POSERAY.   Oh, well