POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Random solid colors for the hexagon block pigment pattern Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:26:16 EDT (-0400)
  Random solid colors for the hexagon block pigment pattern (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Smws
Subject: Random solid colors for the hexagon block pigment pattern
Date: 7 Nov 2005 17:25:00
Message: <web.436fd3c2e2eb0cf59e8613510@news.povray.org>
Hey, I've been wrangling with this for a few hours:

I'm trying to use the hexagon pigment pattern (as one of several function
for creating a height field) and instead of a repeating pattern of 3 colors
I'd like to have each hexagon given a random solid color. Is this possible?

Thanks so much,
Stefan Sittler

Post a reply to this message

> Hey, I've been wrangling with this for a few hours:
>
> I'm trying to use the hexagon pigment pattern (as one of several function
> for creating a height field) and instead of a repeating pattern of 3 colors
> I'd like to have each hexagon given a random solid color. Is this possible?

Yes.  Here's an entire POV file to demonstrate:

// start of POV-Ray file

#declare pigA=pigment { cells
   warp { repeat z offset <-.5,10,0>}
   translate z/2
   scale <3,1,sqrt(6.75)>
}

#declare pigB=pigment { cells
   warp { repeat z offset <-.5,10,0>}
   translate <1.5,7,0>
   scale <3,1,sqrt(6.75)>
}
#declare pigC=pigment { cells
   warp { repeat z offset <-.5,10,0>}
   translate <0,-7,0>
   scale <3,1,sqrt(6.75)>
}

plane { y,0
   pigment { hexagon pigment {pigA} ,pigment { pigB} , pigment {pigC} }
}

light_source { 1e4 1 }

camera { location 10 look_at 0 }

// end of POV-Ray file