POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Group Protocol - where to put stuff Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:32:03 EDT (-0400)
  Group Protocol - where to put stuff (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Mike the Elder
Subject: Group Protocol - where to put stuff
Date: 30 Sep 2005 14:10:01
Message: <web.433d7ee1df8dc8e75a8888d90@news.povray.org>
Hey folks.  A recent post by a new member has inspired me to finish up an
old project - a POV file for easy graphing of various z=f(x,y) type surface
functions.  I HOPE to wrap things up by this Sunday.  My question is:
According to the standard practices and protocols for this group, what is
the easiest/best way to post the different parts of my response?  Putting
the images in the "images" section, the render files in the "render files"
section and entering yet a third post explaining the whole thing with links
to the first two SEEMS like what is called for by the way the site is
arranged, but that also seems rather convoluted and scattered.  In the
absence of any better suggestions, I will probably just toss up a quick web
page of my own and link to the stuff there, but that seems like a second
rate solution as well. Am I missing something?  What do folks suggest?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Post a reply to this message

Mike the Elder <zer### [at] wyanorg> wrote:
> Hey folks.  A recent post by a new member has inspired me to finish up an
> old project - a POV file for easy graphing of various z=f(x,y) type surface
> functions.

  No offence intended, but isn't that quite a trivial thing nowadays in
povray? I mean, you can write just something like:

heightfield
{ function 100,100 { <the f(x,y) function here> }
  smooth
  scale <appropriate scaling>
  translate <appropriate translate>
}

and there you are.

  Making an equivalent isosurface isn't much more difficult either (although
it may be slower and requires tuning the max_gradient; otoh it will not show
the artifacts smooth heightfields often do...)

> According to the standard practices and protocols for this group, what is
> the easiest/best way to post the different parts of my response?  Putting
> the images in the "images" section, the render files in the "render files"
> section and entering yet a third post explaining the whole thing with links
> to the first two SEEMS like what is called for by the way the site is
> arranged, but that also seems rather convoluted and scattered.

  I don't know about others, but personally if someone scatters a post
among three different groups I usually skip that post altogether. I'm
too lazy to try to find all the scattered pieces and try to see them
all toghether.

>  In the
> absence of any better suggestions, I will probably just toss up a quick web
> page of my own and link to the stuff there, but that seems like a second
> rate solution as well.

  Why would that be a second rate solution? IMO it's the best possible
solution. You can use html markup to create a nicely-formatted document
of your work, explaining things and showing example images.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message