POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Does anyone know how to achieve a fiber-optical effect? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:27:43 EDT (-0400)
  Does anyone know how to achieve a fiber-optical effect? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: FractalMBrown
Subject: Does anyone know how to achieve a fiber-optical effect?
Date: 30 Jul 2005 22:45:00
Message: <web.42ec3a5f65a378c192a4d1390@news.povray.org>
So, here's the situation: I'm working in POV-Ray, and I get an idea like
this: "Hey, maybe I could light up this whole column of objects and have
them all glow due to a light-emitting object at the bottom!"(I'm using
radiosity). Is there any way to use an interior to get an effect similar to
what happens when you feed light into a fiber optic line, where the entire
wire seems to glow with a quiet red light? I don't want to fake it by using
ambience, I want this to be an authentic glow. Has anyone achieved this, or
knows how?

Post a reply to this message

"FractalMBrown" <fractalmbrown_AT_QX_DOT_NET> wrote in message
> So, here's the situation: I'm working in POV-Ray, and I get an idea like
> this: "Hey, maybe I could light up this whole column of objects and have
> them all glow due to a light-emitting object at the bottom!"(I'm using
> radiosity). Is there any way to use an interior to get an effect similar
> what happens when you feed light into a fiber optic line, where the entire
> wire seems to glow with a quiet red light? I don't want to fake it by
> using
> ambience, I want this to be an authentic glow. Has anyone achieved this,
> or
> knows how?

Hmmmm, thinking media-filled objects could be the answer. Radiosity will
affect that when you use 'media on' in the radiosity statement. That plus
photons and reflective/refractive objects might work all together if you use
actual light source(s) in conjunction with radiosity. Not real sure it would
do exactly as you want though.

I can't think of an example of such a thing. I did a fiber-optic cable long
ago but it was only to get light out the other end (was not entirely
successful).

Bob Hughes

Post a reply to this message

> Hmmmm, thinking media-filled objects could be the answer. Radiosity will
> affect that when you use 'media on' in the radiosity statement. That plus
> photons and reflective/refractive objects might work all together if you use
> actual light source(s) in conjunction with radiosity. Not real sure it would
> do exactly as you want though.
>
> I can't think of an example of such a thing. I did a fiber-optic cable long
> ago but it was only to get light out the other end (was not entirely
> successful).
>
> Bob Hughes

Thanks, I'll have to learn how to use media (I'm still learning all the
features), but I'll keep your advice in mind.

Post a reply to this message