POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : big problem cmedit32.dll Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:25:34 EDT (-0400)
  big problem cmedit32.dll (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: michael45
Subject: big problem cmedit32.dll
Date: 22 Jul 2005 16:55:00
Message: <web.42e15c7962bd4bb7b1049cb0@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

I will try to describe my problem as clear as possible:

I installed the latest version (3.6) of POV-Ray a couple of days ago. During
these days I did some experiments - especially to export some models from
available (pay-and freeware) modelers around the scene into POV.

As far as good. But suddenly - from one moment to the other, the launching
of POV fails. Doing a new start of the program, the famous MS-message comes
up: An error has occured (cmedit.dll) and the program must shut down.....

So I deinstalled the program, had a look at the regestry and some files,
stored under `documents and settings` and so far. All of them I could
located, was removed, now.

After a fresh installion of POV, the problem persits further on (without
removing my own datas). ?? So I was not able to run all my scripts, I
created since the first installation.

What now ?. So I am running some PC`s (networked), at last I tried to start
POV from another PC (over the network, not installed at this one). And it
works! But that`s not a solution for my problem, because the station I want
to work with, is my Athlon 4000+ / Nvidia 6800 Ultra / Windows XP, Sp2 -
for better performance.

Any ideas from anybodie, what might going wrong?

Michael (Germany)

Post a reply to this message

> I will try to describe my problem as clear as possible:
>
> I installed the latest version (3.6) of POV-Ray a couple of days ago. During
> these days I did some experiments - especially to export some models from
> available (pay-and freeware) modelers around the scene into POV.
>
> As far as good. But suddenly - from one moment to the other, the launching
> of POV fails. Doing a new start of the program, the famous MS-message comes
> up: An error has occured (cmedit.dll) and the program must shut down.....
>
> So I deinstalled the program, had a look at the regestry and some files,
> stored under `documents and settings` and so far. All of them I could
> located, was removed, now.
>
> After a fresh installion of POV, the problem persits further on (without
> removing my own datas). ?? So I was not able to run all my scripts, I
> created since the first installation.
>
> What now ?. So I am running some PC`s (networked), at last I tried to start
> POV from another PC (over the network, not installed at this one). And it
> works! But that`s not a solution for my problem, because the station I want
> to work with, is my Athlon 4000+ / Nvidia 6800 Ultra / Windows XP, Sp2 -
> for better performance.
>
> Any ideas from anybodie, what might going wrong?
>
> Michael (Germany)

07-22-05

.............oops! At last I could solve the problem by myself. From some
(very) strange reasons, an entry was found within the regestry - subsection
called OPEN. There has been set a path pointing to a subdirectory of POV,
including a filename *.pov (at the end of the line), which didn`t exist
more since the time, launching of POV has failed. After deleting this line
from the regestry - all works again.

As far as good. But, I would be very interessted about, what should do all
the poor people, beeing not familar with such internals? To keep the last
actions, settings etc. - during the use of any good programs - in some
*.ini files is normally and will done by POV as well.

But to write such settings in the regestry? Even after I deinstalled POV,
the regestry wasn`t cleaned properly - so after a fresh installation - the
problem hasn`t gone, unfortunately. Only after I started POV from a
networked PC (successfully) I got the idea - what might cause that problem.

Best regards to all

Michael (Germany)