POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : [feature request] Warning message if no radiosity file found? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:24:48 EDT (-0400)
  [feature request] Warning message if no radiosity file found? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: JYR
Subject: [feature request] Warning message if no radiosity file found?
Date: 7 Jun 2005 11:05:01
Message: <web.42a5b6e794ade2da6a3607400@news.povray.org>
Hi all!
Ok, i just did something plain stupid and now i'm blaming POV-Ray's team for
not fool-proofing their software well enough  :)
Seriously: i'm reusing a radiosity data file for the final render of my IRTC
submission. I moved my SDL files to a new directory and forgot to move the
radiosity file accordingly. I launched the render for the night, and this
morning, i discovered a picture full of artifacts with a plain wrong
lighting.
When a radiosity file is used (and properly loaded), there's a message
stating "Reloaded xxxxx values from radiosity cache file". Would it be
possible, or is it already planned, to have an explicit message if the file
isn't found, such as "Radiosity cache file not found, no values reloaded",
instead of just no message at all?

Thanks!

JYR

PS: the ability to store and reuse radiosity data is indeed a great feature!

Post a reply to this message

> PS: the ability to store and reuse radiosity data is indeed a great feature!

  I think that the documentation could benefit from a tutorial with
concrete and simple examples.
  Would anyone want to write some kind of prototype?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> Ok, i just did something plain stupid and now i'm blaming POV-Ray's team for
> not fool-proofing their software well enough  :)
> Seriously: i'm reusing a radiosity data file for the final render of my IRTC
> submission. I moved my SDL files to a new directory and forgot to move the
> radiosity file accordingly. I launched the render for the night, and this
> morning, i discovered a picture full of artifacts with a plain wrong
> lighting.

I think there should be an error - when the user specifies load_file and
the file does not exist you can safely assume this is not OK and issue
an error.

The only problem is that IMO this error should be issued while parsing
but the easiest way to add it would be when reading the file (like
already the case with photon files).

Christoph

Last updated 03 May. 2005 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message