POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Simulating the Effects of Aging Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:16:00 EDT (-0400)
  Simulating the Effects of Aging (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Anthony D  Baye
Subject: Simulating the Effects of Aging
Date: 30 Dec 2004 12:30:00
Message: <web.41d43a112a18c3f78a85f6810@news.povray.org>
I'm currently working on a model of an object that is supposed to be fairly
old and I was wondering how to simulate the effects of age.

f.ex. tarnish (the object is made of 0.75% Silver 0.25% Copper, I imagine
that after a while there would be some discoloration.) and rubbing (I've
considered using the object pattern to turn it into an isosurface and then
adding patterned or something like that but I'm not sure how this would be
done.)

Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated.

ADB.

Post a reply to this message

"Anthony D. Baye" <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> wrote in message
> I'm currently working on a model of an object that is supposed to be
> fairly
> old and I was wondering how to simulate the effects of age.
>
> f.ex. tarnish (the object is made of 0.75% Silver 0.25% Copper, I imagine
> that after a while there would be some discoloration.) and rubbing (I've
> considered using the object pattern to turn it into an isosurface and then
> adding patterned or something like that but I'm not sure how this would be
> done.)
>
> Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> ADB.

I'd go with layered textures, or texture maps. Find an example of the
material in question and look at it really closely :)

- Grim

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Nikias
Date: 30 Dec 2004 20:07:34
Message: <41d4a656$1@news.povray.org>
> Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated.

There have been several attempts at this in the past. One way to go is to
use the object for an image-pattern, and average dozens of these with
slightly randomized translations. What you get is a pattern which is white
where the object is, black outside, and a grayscale on edges of the object.
With some work, this could probably end up into something you'd like to
achieve. I'm not sure what to search for in the newsgroups though, but
someone will surely come to aid. :-)

Regards,
Tim

--