POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SDL Just a thought Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:28:13 EDT (-0400)
  SDL Just a thought (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: m1j
Subject: SDL Just a thought
Date: 22 Nov 2004 11:15:00
Message: <web.41a21038eefa433bb247013d0@news.povray.org>
I have been using Flash and Authorware a lot lately. Both use a version of
JavaScript and I am finding it to be a real nice language. The thought that
hit me was that one of POVRay's strongest features is the SDL. The only
thing I would like to see added is object classes and an expanded material
coding ability with the strength of renderman shader language but still
apart of the SDL structure. The function tools may be enough but I have not
learned how to use them. After these two additions the SDL could be what
the pov team uses for financing. For all companies using the SDL for
modelers or even other commercial raytracers a license fee could be levied.
If the tool is free then no fee would be required. I really think the POV
SDL is better then RIB and could be the next standard. Its power is the
fact it is programming.

Just a thought.

Post a reply to this message

> I have been using Flash and Authorware a lot lately. Both use a version of
> JavaScript and I am finding it to be a real nice language. The thought that
> hit me was that one of POVRay's strongest features is the SDL. The only
> thing I would like to see added is object classes and an expanded material
> coding ability with the strength of renderman shader language but still
> apart of the SDL structure.

You are mixing up two things here - the language design and the program
features.

> The function tools may be enough but I have not
> learned how to use them. After these two additions the SDL could be what
> the pov team uses for financing. For all companies using the SDL for
> modelers or even other commercial raytracers a license fee could be levied.
> If the tool is free then no fee would be required.

Just to make sure - there will be no usage restrictions for use of
current SDL or any future versions, that would be quite ridiculous, a
bit like requesting a fee from everyone who wants to speak a certain
language.

What might be interesting and useful (but i am not sure if practicable)
is to license a future POV-SDL parser for use in 3rd party programs.

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

> > I have been using Flash and Authorware a lot lately. Both use a version of
> > JavaScript and I am finding it to be a real nice language. The thought that
> > hit me was that one of POVRay's strongest features is the SDL. The only
> > thing I would like to see added is object classes and an expanded material
> > coding ability with the strength of renderman shader language but still
> > apart of the SDL structure.
>
> You are mixing up two things here - the language design and the program
> features.

Would not the program features reflect on the language design and
vice-versus?

> > The function tools may be enough but I have not
> > learned how to use them. After these two additions the SDL could be what
> > the pov team uses for financing. For all companies using the SDL for
> > modelers or even other commercial raytracers a license fee could be levied.
> > If the tool is free then no fee would be required.
>
> Just to make sure - there will be no usage restrictions for use of
> current SDL or any future versions, that would be quite ridiculous, a
> bit like requesting a fee from everyone who wants to speak a certain
> language.

Funny I feel the same way but the licensing of interface and scripting
language seems common in modern software marketing. Example: Sun Java vs.
MS Java.

Two things I was thinking of: one, help the povteam by providing a possible
source of funds; two, draw some attention to POVRAY and POV SDL by moving
it towards being a standard. This last idea is strengthen by making some
part of POVRAY commercial. Like the company I work for, POVRay would not be
an option because it is free. I know this is very illogical but companies
seem to think software is only good if it cost too much money. I did not
want to see POVRay become commercial but thought the SDL could in part be
used this way. In truth I prefer it like you stated. All free all of the
time. That is what makes POVRay so great. I tell people about POVRay I get
strange looks. They can not believe a free program can do so much.

I would still like to see the SDL as a standard for 3D activity. It is
almost there.

> What might be interesting and useful (but i am not sure if practicable)
> is to license a future POV-SDL parser for use in 3rd party programs.
>
> Christoph
>
> --
> POV-Ray tutorials, include files, Sim-POV,
> HCR-Edit and more: http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/
> Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____.//^>_*_<^/.______

Post a reply to this message