POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Why doesn't PovRay support Obj files? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:20:10 EDT (-0400)
  Why doesn't PovRay support Obj files? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: ShiJie
Subject: Why doesn't PovRay support Obj files?
Date: 31 Oct 2004 13:40:00
Message: <web.4185306d883f573b174727610@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I was wondering. Why doesn't PovRay support .obj files (to import in the
scenes), I am actually not certain if it really doesn't. But currently when
I make a 3D model that requires a modeller and when I try saving it as
..pov, I see how big the file becomes as compared to .obj. Since the .pov
are text-based this will naturally be always bigger. It is indeed efficient
if I can work with a more compressed file (as I will usually not need to
alter the object within povray, at most I will put a texture but this does
not require me to edit the output obj file). So how is this question
answered? "Why doesn't PovRay support Obj file, or any other compressed
form of graphic model?"

Sincerely,
Jose Capco

Post a reply to this message

> I was wondering. Why doesn't PovRay support .obj files (to import in the
> scenes), I am actually not certain if it really doesn't. But currently when
> I make a 3D model that requires a modeller and when I try saving it as
> ..pov, I see how big the file becomes as compared to .obj. Since the .pov
> are text-based this will naturally be always bigger.

.obj files are text format as well - they will not be significantly
smaller than a mesh2.  If the files your modeller generates are much
larger the program is simply inefficient.  Concerning why POV-Ray does
not support any binary geometry files read:

http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/filesQandT.html#binarymeshdata

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message