POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Camera movement Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:20:03 EDT (-0400)
  Camera movement (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Charm Quark
Subject: Camera movement
Date: 14 Jun 2004 17:30:01
Message: <web.40ce18c06fcc91c5934b17180@news.povray.org>
Does anybody know EXACTLY how povray moves its camera to look at the
point look_at<x,y,z> specified in the camera specification?
     The online documentation states that the camera points in some initial
direction to begin with (I think it's the z axis?), then rotates about the
y axis in the x-y plane until it's aligned with the look_at point, then
tilts up or down until it's looking at the look at point.
     Or, if you specify a sky vector, then it rotates the camera until the
"top" is parallel to the sky vector, then it rotates about the sky vector
until it's aligned with the look_at point, then tilts up or down until it
is looking at the look at point.
    That's what the documentation says. But I'm wondering if there's more to
it than that, because I'm finding my images tilted at funny angles. As in,
the image will be upside down, or it'll be rotated by some angle about the
line of sight that I didn't ask for.
     Can someone give me some input on this?