POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Gallery update Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:20:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gallery update (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: gregjohn
Subject: Re: Gallery update
Date: 29 May 2004 08:15:01
Message: <web.40b87caec09d8a623a5fb9ba0@news.povray.org>
I'm wondering if you didn't see that the CC has multiple options-- you pick.
You can say "don't make any modifications and give me credit" OR "make
modifications as you please," OR "reuse fine but not for commercial
purposes" ...

I think finding out which option is already in play here and stating it
loudly would help a lot of things. For example,  I'm about to do
"something" with my blob people.  If I use some guy's  FindKnee macro for
"redistribution" or for "commercial purposes" (actually sell an animation
using it), is that a fault? Do I have to hunt down every macro-writer and
get their permission **ON PAPER** (as copyright law requires, mind you) to
go ahead?  Or should I rewrite one from scratch?

I remember once before I was re-using some sample scene files shipped with
povray.  I perhaps saw the word "copyright" on it but it seemed a bit out
of place.  Couldn't a copyright holder prevent commercial use or any
display of work-- if the same restrictions of ownership that apply to my
own private gallery displays would apply to a "demo" shipped with freeware
apply, like why was it shipped?  Or if it's understood to be a strict
copyright, wouldn't this be like sharing UNIX code?  ;-)

I purely respect any artist's wishes.  I am simply nagging to say that there
is ambiguity without a formal statement of what policy should apply.  Let's
do CC's.

Greg M. Johnson