POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Sweep Spline Along Spline Server Time
3 Aug 2024 08:08:23 EDT (-0400)
  Sweep Spline Along Spline (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: SunTzu2
Subject: Sweep Spline Along Spline
Date: 22 Apr 2004 16:50:01
Message: <web.40882e93ffb86f20eba257cf0@news.povray.org>
One of the commands I use the most when I'm working in 3D CAD applications
such as Solid Edge, AutoCAD, or MicroStation is the one that generates a
solid object by sweeping a closed shape along a path.  Very often when I'm
thinking of modelling something in POV I wish for such a command.  I have
read and re-read the POV documentation and can't find an analogous
constuction.  The closest thing seems to be the sphere sweep, but unless
you want a circular crossection this doesn't seem to be much use.  Am I
missing something?

I realize that if I want to follow a path of straight line tangent segments
and arcs I can assemble a series of prism and partial lathe objects, but
unless there's an existing macro for that it seems fairly laborious.  Does
anyone know of such a macro?  Also, it seems to me that if there are any
'kinks' in the path, assembling pieces like this won't work well either.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,
Sun.

Post a reply to this message