POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Metal reflection Server Time
5 Aug 2024 00:24:57 EDT (-0400)
  Metal reflection (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
Subject: Metal reflection
Date: 22 Jan 2003 06:30:12
Message: <web.3e2e8028e211e481753f88d50@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

Does anybody know if reflection of light on a metallic surface obeys to
fresnel variable reflection rules ? I think it shouldn't, but I would like
to hear other advices.

Post a reply to this message

From: Christoph Hormann
Subject: Re: Metal reflection
Date: 22 Jan 2003 08:01:27
Message: <3E2E9627.A9C26B69@gmx.de>

> Hi all,
>
> Does anybody know if reflection of light on a metallic surface obeys to
> fresnel variable reflection rules ? I think it shouldn't, but I would like
> to hear other advices.

The fresnel formulas play a role in metallic reflection too but the ior is
much higher.  There are other specialities like the coloring of metallic
surfaces depending on the angle of incidence.  See:

http://www.oriel.com/down/pdf/12010.pdf
http://www.fsz.bme.hu/~szirmay/brdf6_link.html
http://web.pd.astro.it/pernechele/papers/4843-29.pdf

Christoph

Last updated 31 Dec. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Date: 23 Jan 2003 04:20:03
Message: <web.3e2fb2b644a4d3df7226cf80@news.povray.org>
>The fresnel formulas play a role in metallic reflection too but the ior is
>much higher.  There are other specialities like the coloring of metallic
>surfaces depending on the angle of incidence.  See:
>
>http://www.oriel.com/down/pdf/12010.pdf
>http://www.fsz.bme.hu/~szirmay/brdf6_link.html
>http://web.pd.astro.it/pernechele/papers/4843-29.pdf

Thanks for the links.