POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Only rendering part of a frame Server Time
5 Aug 2024 04:17:38 EDT (-0400)
  Only rendering part of a frame (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Jared
Subject: Only rendering part of a frame
Date: 27 Dec 2002 20:20:02
Message: <web.3e0cfbb41992fd35ddfe293c0@news.povray.org>
Hey all,

I have a curious graphic whose render will result in a frame which is
symetrical left and right. The complicated lighting and reflections I
employed make a 7 hour render not unacceptable, but surely unwanted. If I
could just render half and then duplicate it and flip it, I could save 4.5
hours. But I seem to devise a method of doing so. My rotating the camera to
only view half, I change the focal point and the perspectives all shift. I
am failing to summon the technical terms to describe this phenomena, but
for those of you who understand what I am speaking of and perhaps how to
leave my camera in place, while only rendering part of the frame, I would
appreciate any advice you could offer.

Sincerely,
Jared Chung

Post a reply to this message

>I have a curious graphic whose render will result in a frame which is
>symetrical left and right. The complicated lighting and reflections I
>employed make a 7 hour render not unacceptable, but surely unwanted. If I
>could just render half and then duplicate it and flip it, I could save 4.5
>hours. But I seem to devise a method of doing so. My rotating the camera to
>only view half, I change the focal point and the perspectives all shift. I
>am failing to summon the technical terms to describe this phenomena, but
>for those of you who understand what I am speaking of and perhaps how to
>leave my camera in place, while only rendering part of the frame, I would
>appreciate any advice you could offer.

I am not sure if it solves your problem,
but if you use POV-Ray for Windows, you
can start a rendering and then stop it.
Then you can just select a region in the
rendering window with the mouse. POV-Ray
will then render this region only.

IIRC you can also give POV-Ray command
line options to achieve the same, but I
have not done this. (So you may want to