POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lights and photons glitches (possibly bug) Server Time
5 Aug 2024 16:12:53 EDT (-0400)
  Lights and photons glitches (possibly bug) (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Rohan Bernett
Subject: Lights and photons glitches (possibly bug)
Date: 1 Sep 2002 23:05:03
Message: <web.3d72d4f2bac801ba18ccf4f70@news.povray.org>
I'm getting several odd glitches in a couple of scenes which use paralell
cylindrical lights to create lasers. Both scenes use photon mapping to make
the beams reflect off mirrors.

The first scene has two lasers (blue and green) reflecting off mirrors which
then hit a flat white test surface. The weird thing is that instead of
getting a green and a blue spot, I get two large cyan ones. I tried
commenting out the mirror in front of the blue laser, and I got the
expected blue spot, but the green one still produced the large cyan spot.
Even weirder, I seem to have two extra cyan beams which go and hit the
walls of the room and come at right angles to the direction of the original
beams.

The second scene is a sort of hologram setup. The first problem here is an
extra beam appearing near the beam splitter, which dissappears if I comment
out the mirror into the scene from it. All the mirrors are angles at 45
degrees to the incoming beams, so I can't understand why this beam is
appearing. The second probem is that the reflected beams in the distance
don't show up in the media which is used to make the beams visible. They
still produce the expected spot of light on the test surface though.

Finally, one glitch which is common to both scenes is a myterious black disc
which appears at the location of the light source. The weirdest thing about
this disc, is that it can be seen through solid objects. I think this also
occurs with regular cylindrical lights, could this be a bug in cylindrical
lights?

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read such a long post, and hopefully
someone can help solve this.

Rohan _e_ii

Post a reply to this message