POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Photons and a light_group Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:18:43 EDT (-0400)
  Photons and a light_group (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Sebastian H
Subject: Photons and a light_group
Date: 25 Jul 2006 16:43:35
Message: <pan.2006.07.25.20.43.34.264829@gmx.de>
Hello group

I've stumbled over something I dont't quite understand.

When there's a light group that contains a photon source
and a refractive object, no photons are shot unless global_lights
is turned on.

The scene looks similar to this

<SCENE>

... camera stuff ...

light_group {
	light_source {
		<0, 0, -light_distance>
		color <255/255,243/255,234/255>

		photons {
			refraction on
			reflection on

		}

		rotate 40*x
		rotate 65*y
	}

	sphere {0, 1
		pigment{Red filter 0.75}
		interior{ior 1.3}
		photons{
			target
			reflection off
			refraction on
			collect off
		}
	}

	disc {
		<0, -1, 0>, <0, 1, 0>, 1
		pigment{ rgb 1.0 }
		finish{ ambient 0.2 diffuse 1.0 }

		scale <2, 1, 2>

		translate 1.25*z
		rotate 65*y
	}

	//global_lights on
}

</SCENE>

No caustics appear on the disc unless global_lights is activated.

Are photons global things that can't be shot in a private
object space? This is somewhat how I understood a light_group as to be.

A little wondering
Sebastian