POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Using trace() and rotation... Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:23:49 EDT (-0400)
  Using trace() and rotation... (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Artemia Salina
Subject: Using trace() and rotation...
Date: 1 Jul 2006 23:53:54
Message: <pan.2006.07.02.03.53.53.923691@sheayright.com>
Assuming a sphere at <0,0,0> and using it as the object being traced, how
would I rotate other objects placed on its surface so that they are
radiating directly outward from <0,0,0>?

Thanks!

P.S. For an example image of what I'm trying to do, see p.b.i for
the posting "Playing with Monsters"

--
Today's Alliterative Monomania Headlines:
Unpardonable Univariant Unemployment Unempirically Underplants Underslung Uncle

Post a reply to this message

> Assuming a sphere at <0,0,0> and using it as the object being traced, how
> would I rotate other objects placed on its surface so that they are
> radiating directly outward from <0,0,0>?

   Tracing a sphere is overkill. In order to place an object on the
surface of a origin-centered sphere, just put it eg. on the x axis
at a distance equal to the radius of the sphere and rotate it around
two axes. The object will automatically rotate appropriately.

   But the answer to your question is the Reorient_Trans() in
transforms.inc.

Post a reply to this message

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 09:28:01 +0300, Warp wrote:

> Artemia Salina wrote:
>> Assuming a sphere at <0,0,0> and using it as the object being traced, how
>> would I rotate other objects placed on its surface so that they are
>> radiating directly outward from <0,0,0>?
>
>    Tracing a sphere is overkill. In order to place an object on the
> surface of a origin-centered sphere, just put it eg. on the x axis
> at a distance equal to the radius of the sphere and rotate it around
> two axes. The object will automatically rotate appropriately.
>
>    But the answer to your question is the Reorient_Trans() in
> transforms.inc.

Thanks Warp,

I'm populating the entire surface of the object (the sphere was an example).
I'll read up on Reorient_Trans.

--
Today's Alliterative Monomania Headlines:
Ecliptic Easterling Earthworm Elegantly Enharbors Ecaudate Earthbank