POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Very slow texture: any ideas on speeding it up? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:28:49 EDT (-0400)
  Very slow texture: any ideas on speeding it up? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: [GDS|Entropy]
Subject: Very slow texture: any ideas on speeding it up?
Date: 16 Dec 2010 13:50:36
Message: <op.vntlajmn0819q0@gdsentropy.nc.rr.com>
Currently I have a render going for over 1 day, only 30% done and it looks
like this might take a very long time.
Is there anything I have done just plain incorrectly to cause this texture
to be so slow, or is it simply the very nature of this texture? Any
thoughts would be appreciated.

I am applying it to that snownut test object as a whole.

This is the slope texture I use for the high quality snow/ice. Here is the
full usage:

slopeSnowTex(-1,0.9)

texture {
  SnowTex0
}
interior {
  fade_distance 2
  fade_power 3
  ior 1.45
  caustics 1.0
}

// slopeSnowTex.inc
//---------------------------------------//
//      Snow texture by [GDS|Entropy]    |
//                       Ian McDonald    |
//---------------------------------------//

#macro slopeSnowTex(_C_,filterVal)

#declare Snow =
texture {
  pigment {
   color rgb <0.96,0.97,0.99>*1.1
  }
  normal {
   wrinkles 0.4
   ramp_wave
   turbulence 0.3
   scale 0.039
  }
  finish {
   ambient 0.35
   diffuse 0.425
   specular 0.125
   roughness 0.1
  }
}

#declare Snow2 =
texture {
  pigment {
   color rgb <0.98,0.97,0.96>
  }
  normal {
   wrinkles 0.3
   ramp_wave
   turbulence 0.25
   scale 0.036
  }
  finish {
   ambient 0.325
   diffuse 0.4
   specular 0.15
   roughness 0.075
  }
}

#declare Ice =
texture {
  pigment {
   bozo
   octaves 1
   frequency 4
   triangle_wave
   color_map {
    [0.00 rgbf <0.98,0.97,0.96,filterVal>]
    [0.03 rgbf <0.91,0.97,0.93,filterVal>]
    [0.40 rgbf <0.91,0.97,0.93,filterVal>]
    [0.40 rgbf <0.91,0.94,0.94,filterVal>]
    [0.42 rgbf <0.91,0.97,0.93,filterVal>]
    [1.00 rgbf <0.91,0.97,0.93,filterVal>]
   }
  }
  finish {
   ambient 0
   diffuse 1
   brilliance 0.005
   specular 0.5
   roughness 0.001
   reflection 0.125
  }
  normal {
   wrinkles 0.1
   scale 0.00001
  }
}

#declare Ice2 =
texture {
  pigment {
   bozo
   octaves 1
   frequency 4
   triangle_wave
   color_map {
    [0.00 rgbt <0.98,0.97,0.96,filterVal+0.1>]
    [0.03 rgbt <0.91,0.97,0.93,filterVal+0.1>]
    [0.40 rgbt <0.91,0.97,0.93,filterVal+0.1>]
    [0.40 rgbt <0.91,0.94,0.94,filterVal+0.1>]
    [0.42 rgbt <0.91,0.97,0.93,filterVal+0.1>]
    [1.00 rgbt <0.91,0.97,0.93,filterVal+0.1>]
   }
  }
  finish {
   ambient 0