POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Hexagonal grid pattern? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 04:19:22 EDT (-0400)
  Hexagonal grid pattern? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Jerry
Subject: Hexagonal grid pattern?
Date: 2 Jan 2003 13:48:08
Message: <jerry-2B7BB9.10480402012003@netplex.aussie.org>
I'd like to be able to make a hexagonal grid for use in making maps.
Making square grids for maps is easy enough with gradient x/gradient z,
but I can't figure out how to make a hexagonal grid. The hexagonal
pattern is not for grids but for solid hexagons.

You can see an example of what hexagonal grids look like at:

http://www.godsmonsters.com/Master/image003.gif

Is there a way of making such a pattern? Perhaps using functions?

Standard POV or MegaPOV are both fine. (I vaguely remember someone
making a few more shapes for patterns a while back, though I don't know
that hexagons were among them.)

Jerry
--
http://www.hoboes.com/jerry/
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, and you've

Post a reply to this message

>I'd like to be able to make a hexagonal grid for use in making maps.
>Making square grids for maps is easy enough with gradient x/gradient z,
>but I can't figure out how to make a hexagonal grid. The hexagonal
>pattern is not for grids but for solid hexagons.
>
>You can see an example of what hexagonal grids look like at:
>
>http://www.godsmonsters.com/Master/image003.gif
>
>Is there a way of making such a pattern? Perhaps using functions?
>
>Standard POV or MegaPOV are both fine. (I vaguely remember someone
>making a few more shapes for patterns a while back, though I don't know
>that hexagons were among them.)

Do you mean like this?

#include "functions.inc"

plane {y, 0
  pigment {
    function { f_hex_x(x,y,z,0)}
    colour_map {[0.83 rgb 1]
                [0.83 rgb 0]}
    rotate x*90
  }
}

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

In article <ZFmBuAAFlOF+Ewq### [at] econymdemoncouk>,
 Mike Williams <mik### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:
>Do you mean like this?

Yes, that's just what I needed. Thanks!

Jerry