POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Math group? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:23:43 EDT (-0400)
  Math group? (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Chris Huff
Subject: Math group?
Date: 2 Dec 1999 14:18:13
Message: <chrishuff_99-1320B3.14182302121999@news.povray.org>
Would it be a good idea to have a povray.binaries.math group?
It would be a binary group so images(graphs, illustrations, etc) could
be posted, but would also be for general discussion about math.(I don't
think there would be enough demand for separate groups for binaries and
discussion)

For example: I have been wondering how to calculate the curvature of a
surface given several points on the surface and their normals. This
might go in povray.patches or povray.programming, but it isn't really
discussion about patches or programming. It would fit perfectly in
povray.binaries.math, as would a lot of other things.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom

Post a reply to this message

>For example: I have been wondering how to calculate the curvature of a
>surface given several points on the surface and their normals. This
>might go in povray.patches or povray.programming, but it isn't really
>discussion about patches or programming. It would fit perfectly in
>povray.binaries.math, as would a lot of other things.

Sounds like something for p.advanced-users to me.
Personally I don't think we need more groups. It's already difficult to
remember what was in witch group if you want to look back at an older thread.

Ingo

I agree with ingo, a new group probably isn't the solution. advanced.users
is, and we should probably respond to math queries and bring them to the
advanced users group, like we take an off topic discussion to p.o.t now.

As far as your problem is concerned, are you talking about a
smooth_triangle mesh? I did that recently thanks to Warp (I think it was
Warp, one of our kind fellows here directed me to the Read Me file which
explained everything)

Chris Huff wrote:

> Would it be a good idea to have a povray.binaries.math group?
> It would be a binary group so images(graphs, illustrations, etc) could
> be posted, but would also be for general discussion about math.(I don't
> think there would be enough demand for separate groups for binaries and
> discussion)
>
> For example: I have been wondering how to calculate the curvature of a
> surface given several points on the surface and their normals. This
> might go in povray.patches or povray.programming, but it isn't really
> discussion about patches or programming. It would fit perfectly in
> povray.binaries.math, as would a lot of other things.
>
> --
> Chris Huff
> e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
> Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/