POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Output File Caching Server Time
19 Mar 2024 05:29:09 EDT (-0400)
  Output File Caching (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: ingo
Subject: Re: Output File Caching
Date: 6 May 2021 09:38:06
Message: <XnsAD229F0AACF81seed7@news.povray.org>
in news:6093dc4f$1@news.povray.org Ash Holsenback wrote:

> isn't that covered in changes.txt and / or revision.txt

Sometimes I'm a dumb user, not even intentionally. A search for pov-state
revealed nothing on the wiki and only the link to the release notes from a
search engine. The relation -CC pov-state never cam up to even knowing
there is +C. So, maybe some elaboration here and there if only mentioning
pov-state to make it searchable,

Thanks, the next run will be -CC

Ingo

Post a reply to this message

From: ingo
Date: 6 May 2021 09:44:27
Message: <XnsAD22A0200E5FCseed7@news.povray.org>
in news:6093d49d$1@news.povray.org William F Pokorny wrote:

> The final written image too, yes.

Ok. I use RAMdisk for saving arrays etc during animations. Mainly because
by gear is over a decade old and I'm not too shure about the hard drive
anymore.
I've not figured out how to get a final image from ram to hard drive yet.
On Win10 3rd party software is required.

Ingo

Post a reply to this message

From: William F Pokorny
Date: 6 May 2021 09:51:14
Message: <6093f452$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/6/21 8:08 AM, Ash Holsenback wrote:
> On 5/6/21 7:51 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
>>>
>>> i do not... y'all were just looking in the wrong place
>>>

>> Perhaps we do disagree. :-) I was aware of the documentation to which
>> you pointed us.
>>
>> I believe our documentation would be better if somewhere it included
>> everything in those beta release notes about output file caching -
>> after the first paragraph. Those realease notes are well written and
>> clear with several useful tips. I believe our documentation today
>> describes switches with not enough about implications and use -
>> information in those release to release notes.
>
> isn't that covered in changes.txt and / or revision.txt

Technically, sure... :-(

In stating this you are saying to use POV-Ray well, users must also read
/ remember 'all' of the POV-Ray recorded history in those files...
History which waffles and changes during development and over time.
History which isn't in anyway sorted/indexed and which in the long term
- for any software - is as often confusing as not to users post
release(1) and so I'd argue bordering on useless to other than
developers sometimes needing the long tangled view to understand the
state of code.

Post release, what is useful to us as users should be in the
documentation for that release even if duplicated! If in alpha/beta
releases and for users on the cutting edge - one can say that they must
read the release notes to know what's going on because it might not yet
be in the documentation.

(1) - Something I believe we got wrong moving post v3.7 release is that
we didn't restart the changes.txt and revision.txt files. This
especially true after we decided the v3.7.1 release was really a v3.8
release.

Anyhow, my opinion. We disagree. :-)

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 6 May 2021 11:08:31
Message: <6094066f$1@news.povray.org>
Op 6-5-2021 om 15:51 schreef William F Pokorny:
> This
> especially true after we decided the v3.7.1 release was really a v3.8
> release.

Aaah! Confirmation of my long sustained suspicion! I had a number of
"older" scene files proudly arboring version 3.7.1; now I am sure those
are what I guessed was 3.8! :-)

--
Thomas