POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Shell-outs Server Time
28 Mar 2024 09:15:56 EDT (-0400)
  Shell-outs (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: ingo
Subject: Shell-outs
Date: 29 Mar 2021 10:29:30
Message: <XnsACFCA7C3D3FCCseed7@news.povray.org>
Does the shell-out mechanism still work (3.8, win10)? I can not get it
going and remember having trouble with it in the past.

Ingo

Post a reply to this message

From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Re: Shell-outs
Date: 29 Mar 2021 12:26:30
Message: <6061ffb6$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/29/21 10:29 AM, ingo wrote:
> Does the shell-out mechanism still work (3.8, win10)? I can not get it
> going and remember having trouble with it in the past.
>
> Ingo

Unsure about Win10 and v3.8.

I've had some trouble with it in the distant (years) past, on linux, but
I know jr has had recent success. So let me see with v3.8...

First be sure your most restrictive .conf file allows the shell out.
This is not the default on unix/linux and I just had to change my
default. You should - somewhere - get a message about the shell outs not
being allowed if the permissions don't allow the feature.

Beyond that I find I've mostly got to use an ini file with settings
inside the ini file as the command line substitutions %o, %s don't seem
to both be parsed and substituted correctly. At least I could not figure
out how to get it to work.

In the ini file I was able to use:

Post_Scene_Command=/bin/ls >%s_post.txt
Pre_Scene_Command=preShell %s

where preShell is a bash script I created. However, the %s feature is
not stripping the scene input file extension as the documentation says
it should... I get, for example, a file called:

hmmPovr.pov_post.txt

from the Post_Scene_Command. On unix/linux systems you could do the
needed corrections within a created shell.

So, looks to me on linux/unix one could get the shell out stuff going
though with some gotchas to work around. Unsure if this any help to you
on windows. :-)

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message