POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : spacewarps non-linear tracing Server Time
2 Aug 2024 06:19:37 EDT (-0400)
  spacewarps non-linear tracing (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: ingo
Subject: spacewarps non-linear tracing
Date: 8 Jan 2005 04:43:40
Message: <Xns95D86D203B410seed7@news.povray.org>
http://cgg.ms.mff.cuni.cz/~semancik/localcopy/geocities/projekty.html

I don't remeber having seen this mentioned before. Non-linear ray tracing
with POV-Ray, see the end of the page.

Ingo

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: spacewarps non-linear tracing
Date: 8 Jan 2005 06:27:53
Message: <41dfc3b8@news.povray.org>
ingo <ing### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> I don't remeber having seen this mentioned before. Non-linear ray tracing
> with POV-Ray, see the end of the page.

  Unless you can apply the non-linear transformation on a per-object
basis (so that its shadow and its reflection/refraction on other objects
etc are also transformed correctly), the effect is rather useless
(except for making some abstract art).

  Also, I would like to know whether the rays used to render those images
were really curved or if they were just straight rays transformed on
a non-linear basis (similar to what eg. the normal{} block in a camera
statement would do).

>   Also, I would like to know whether the rays used to render those images
> were really curved or if they were just straight rays transformed on
> a non-linear basis (similar to what eg. the normal{} block in a camera
> statement would do).

I suppose it's either tracing piecewise linear rays or always using a
numerical root solver (like POV-Ray does for isosurfaces).  In any case
it would be quite slow.

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message